[Resolved] copying a site

Home Forums Support [Resolved] copying a site

Home Forums Support copying a site

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gary L

Hi,
    I have a site I would like to put on generate press and gp premium if possible. I linked a pic to view hoping you could give me some hints on how to get it close.

since it’s a png it’s all black but the original site only has a small black bar at the top not much more in height than the search box…

1. top arrow points to thin black bar holding the site logo and search box
    2. 2nd arrow points to main menu
    3. 3rd arrow down points to soliquoy slider that’s only on the front page
    4. bottom left points to column with secondary menu further down
    5. Right arrow points to right column that’s just text widgets

If you could give me the large picture how you would approach this I would most appreciate it. For example I wasn’t sure what to use for the black bar at top that could hold the logo and search box.

Thanks!
    Gary

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Gary L

wow, Thanks! I’ll give all this a go

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Gary L

I’ve been implementing your info, really appreciate that, saved me hours of poking around! The one thing I can’t get a handle on is the left sidebar menu (secondary menu) is not showing. I got the widget in, got the menu made, can’t get it to show. Below is the dummy site and above is the pic of the site I’m copying.

Thanks

http://7i54.com

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm just making sure, you have a menu created and set to secondary navigation here?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-wordpress-menu-builder/#setting-a-theme-location

Gary L

Hi,

I’m using a plugin to move menus from the old site and didn’t realize I was assigning the inncorrect secondary menu. I noticed when I go to Customizing > Navigation Location, the location set to No Navigation, the site looks exactly like the old one as far as how the secondary menu is shown.

If I set Navigation Location to Left Sidbar, it places a copy of the secondary menu with dropdowns above all the widget boxes.

Is there a way to get this Theme posistioned sidebar menu with dropdowns moved down below the 2 text widgets on the left?

I left both secondary menus on so you could see how it was displaying http://7i54.com

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm what if you use the navigation menu widget?

Then you can re-arrange where you want it to show up.

Gary L

Hi,
    I am using the Navigation Menu widget, that’s the reason I have the “expanded menu” in the lower left where I want it. I guess a better way to ask this question is, on the lower left menu that is expanded out, how do I get it to show up like the top left menu that is multi layer?

I used a plugin on the original site to download the menu there and upload to 7i54.com. The original site is not multi layered so maybe that’s the problem. Is there a way to make a menu multi layer as opposed to all expanded? In wordpress menu section under appearance I have boxes dragged to the right so it would be multi layer but it’s still not showing that way.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Give this function a try:

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'tu_move_secondary_nav' );
    function tu_move_secondary_nav() {
        remove_action( 'generate_before_left_sidebar_content', 'generate_add_secondary_navigation_before_left_sidebar', 7 );
        add_action( 'generate_after_left_sidebar_content', 'generate_add_secondary_navigation_before_left_sidebar', 7 );
    }
    Gary L

Hi,

where does this function go? Do I get the simple css plugin or should I put it one of the editors?

Thanks

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Gary L

In reading “adding-php” I put the code above in the funtions.php in the generate press theme folder through ftp.
    I guess this is the right place?

All it did was exchange the top menu sidebar menu with the lower sidebar menu. So I removed the code. Then I turned off the left side navigation location so the theme would only reference the menu widget.

So everything is where I want it except the sidebar menu is still expanded, I would like for it to be multi layer with option to expand.

Thanks

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No you should never edit the theme file as you will lose changes when update.

If you are not using a child theme, then try Code Snippet: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/#code-snippets

Gary L

Ok, I’ve heard that before. I’m using Generate Press Theme, not sure if that’s a child theme but I took the code out anyway.

I got what Tom was suggesting after I poked around a bit. I took the menu widget out of the left and used his code in the plugin you suggested and it works great.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.