[Support request] Cookie Consent

Home Forums Support [Support request] Cookie Consent

Home Forums Support Cookie Consent

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Daren

What would you think about a creating a premium option for a cookie notification to go with generatepress? Your code is so well optimized it would be nice to have one go with the theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely an interesting idea. I need to look into the law a bit more on that one – I would hate for it to change on us and be left with unnecessary bloat in the theme.

David

I have the same opinion as expressed by Darren when he said “What would you think about a creating a premium option for a cookie notification to go with generatepress? Your code is so well optimized it would be nice to have one go with the theme.”

You were hoping to explore this a bit almost a year ago (look at the law and possible bloating issues if the law changed).

I am using a later version of both GeneratePress (2.2.2) and GP Premium (1.8.2). If the option is there, I can’t find it.

The widgets area does have a “Top Bar” option which is a good option. Is there a way that I can add code so that the “top bar” can be dismissed? I see that I can add more than one widget. So if the first one was a “cookie” message for people from specified regions (especially Europe) with an dismiss option (and somehow remember this the next time the website is visited so that it does not re-display the “cookie message”), the second one could be some sort of announcement that would be useful.

I don’t want to use a WP plugin if possible and the “code only” solutions out there that I have looked at include references to outside code which I have security concerns about. Probably okay but I don’t want to expose my website to malware code.

It would be great as Darren said if the premium version of GeneratePress had this type of functionally.

Thanks,
    Peace,
    David

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A way to dismiss the top bar is an interesting idea – I’ll think about that for sure.

As for a cookie consent panel in itself, that’s definitely plugin territory. I’m not sure adding that to the theme makes much sense. If I were to do this, I would likely build it as a separate plugin to work with any theme.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

For dismissing the top bar, a user created this solution that might help:
    http://www.gmitropapas.com/generatepress-theme-tutorial-convert-the-top-widget-bar-into-a-notification-window/

David

Thanks Tom for your reply.

Leo of your Customer Support replied back with a link that outlines a way to dismiss a message on the top bar. I will follow up more on that and see how that goes.

Thanks for explaining that the cookie panel idea would be plugin territory rather than theme territory. I may have to revert back to a WP plugin after all to do this for me to be reasonably sure that it takes care of what needs to be taken care of.

Cheers,
    Thanks,
    David

David

Thanks Leo for this link.
    I will follow up on this and see if it does the trick for me.

Thanks again,
    Peace,
    David

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Matthias

to warm this up – as i am working on getting a new Website online i had a closer look at current cookie policies regarding GDPR/DSGVO.

So – on 1.October 2019 the European Court of Justice did have a case regarding cookie policy – and ruled that opt-in is the way if you want to follow the law.
    For European users the cookie consent with just a click-away banner or a opt-out are no longer the way to go.

I only did a quick search – but it looks like opt-in cookie bans are only possible by additional plugins and that is nothing that generatepress can solve, right?

Anyone having a good suggestion or is already using a solution for opt-in?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Thats correct your will need a plugin or 3rd party script.
    This one has 700k installs – so they must be doing something right:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/cookie-law-info/

Daniel

Hi Matthias,

another popular Cookie Opt-In Plugin is Borlabs Cookies.

https://borlabs.io/borlabs-cookie/

David

Hi, I am using the following WP Plugin for Cookie Consent:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/cookie-notice/

They have over a million installations.

I installed, activated it, may have done some customisation and forgot about it!

So far the developers are maintaining it as it was updated last a week or so back.

Cheers,
    David

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for sharing David!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.