[Resolved] Confused about the Blog addon

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Confused about the Blog addon

Home Forums Support Confused about the Blog addon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lyle

Hi Tom,

Fantastic theme and addons! πŸ™‚

But I am a bit confused about the Blog addon (I bought the GP-Premium package and have them all activated, for now).

Through trial and error, I found that the “Blog” item in the Customizer is only available when Settings > Reading > Front page displays = Your latest posts.

However, this is not the case for the site in question; it is a “website” type site, with Home, About, Contact, etc. but there is a menu item “Blog”, which is a Category menu item type (renamed the default ‘Uncategorized’ category).

Is there a way to enable the GP Blog Addon for this type of scenario whereby the addon settings would apply to the archive layout for this menu item.

Cheers!
    Lyle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Lyle,

The “Blog” panel will show up if you’re viewing a posts page like the blog, a category, an archive etc..

The only time it won’t show up is if you’re viewing a static page.

Lyle

Thanks, Tom! I knew it had to be something easy πŸ™‚

However, when I am trying to use the Blog options on the Category, Archive or Blog page, none of them are showing up, i.e. the page header image, header content, etc. Again, I’m sure it’s something I am missing but I went through the KB items on this and other forum posts and still can’t quite “get it” πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Lyle

Bishop

Hi Lyle,

Do you see the options in the “Blog” panel? ie Page Header Image, Page Header Content Page Header Logo etc.?
    If so note an image needs to be uploaded for the addition options to show up in Page Header Image. Same as Page Header Content, if you type something in the content box, the additional options should show up below.
    Let me know if this is not what you meant πŸ™‚

Lyle

Thanks, Bishop πŸ™‚

Yes, I have added an image and also content to these Blog panel areas (neither while on the Category menu item nor on a Blog post) yet nothing appears.

Cheers!
    Lyle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The Page Header options for the blog will only show up on the posts page – not any categories or archives.

Lyle

Now I’m really confused! LOL πŸ™‚

Here is what I am doing:

– in the Customizer, I go to the Category menu item
    – I click on the Blog item in the Customizer
    – there are then the Page Header Image, Video, Content, Advanced, Logo, Blog Content, Columns, Masonry, Post Image available
    – I set a Pager Header Image and add content to the Page Header Content and Save

Then these added items are supposed to show up when I open a blog post page? If so, they are not πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It will only show up on your main posts page (the page set in “Settings > Reading”).

Basically, if the option doesn’t show in the Customizer when you’re viewing a page, it means the options won’t apply to that page.

Lyle

Thought I should mention this just so you don’t think that I’m completely “daft”! πŸ™‚ I am coming to GP (and the Customizer) from a long, long time with Genesis + Dynamik Website Builder, so this is quite “foreign” to me.

Just for reference, I do tutorial and training on Gen + DWB + Beaver Builder and would like to do the same using GP, but I need to have a firm grip on how it all works πŸ™‚

Perhaps have a look at some of my tutorials, etc. here: http://snifflevalve.com/tutorials/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Very cool! These customizer changes are new – the rule is, if the option doesn’t show up, it doesn’t apply to the page you’re viewing.

Lyle

Thanks for your patience, Tom! I’m starting to “get it” now and will keep plugging away πŸ™‚

I have another question but it’s about GP itself so I will start a new topic.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No worries! I’m happy to help πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.