[Resolved] Conflict between Cover Page and Customizer

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Conflict between Cover Page and Customizer

Home Forums Support Conflict between Cover Page and Customizer

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lisa

Hi,
    I’m new to WP and GeneratePress, so I’m sure this is very obvious. I am using the Dispatch theme, which is clearly out of my league. I see how to use WP Show Posts on specific pages, and using the Customizer to tweak elements of the home and parts of other pages. But I am unclear where to start to restructure parts of the Home page and could use a pointer.

I want to modify the middle section of the Home page and put in the results of a ShowPost: below the big beautiful lead image block, I want to show 4 of the latest posts in a certain category of posts. Should be simply using a shortcode and put it on the Cover Page file, like any other page. I successfully did this on single post pages, but want to also do it on the Home page without disrupting the main image block.

It seems like the Customizer is overruling what’s being called for in the Cover Page and int he Show Posts. Is the Cover Page where I should be working? Maybe I have the wrong assumption? Or do I pull that shortcode I want into Customized and forget the Cover Page file?

At the moment, I’m seeing only a list of my posts on the home page. They are styled beautifully but I want to group them into segments by topic. I thought putting shortcodes on the Cover Page would do it. Any suggestions? I’m sure I have a mistaken concept in here somewhere.

Thank you for guidance.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Right now your front page is set to display your latest posts in Settings > Reading.

If you create a new static page, you can add your separate lists and then set that static page as your front page in that same Settings > Reading area.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Lisa

I knew there was a key concept I was missing! Thank you.
    If I create a new static page (or use the Cover Page in there now), will I have to reformat the big set of Header images? Or does that come from the header function, like an extended menu?
    thank you!

Lisa

Hey Tom,
    This worked great! Thank you for your guidance. Appreciate you taking the time for such a basic question.
    Best wishes,
    -L.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! Glad I could help 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.