[Resolved] bug: comment-form textarea missing required

Home Forums Support [Resolved] bug: comment-form textarea missing required

Home Forums Support bug: comment-form textarea missing required

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam

In generatepress/inc/structure/comments.php line 116, the required attribute is missing.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Is the aria-required="true" part in line 117 what you are referring to?
    https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/master/inc/structure/comments.php#L117

Adam

Hi,

aria is other thing, the “required” attribute is missing. It’s possible to submit comment without comment.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

WordPress itself should prevent empty comments (I just tested it).

However, it certainly doesn’t hurt to add the tag to the element – done in the next version πŸ™‚

Adam

Hi Tom,

yes it does, but Generatepress overrides filter comment_form_defaults and allows that to happen.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any chance you can send me a link to check out? Can’t get it to happen on my end.

The “required” attribute is just on the browser side of things – WordPress itself should prevent empty comments on the server-side.

Adam

The simpliest way to replicate it is on fresh install, login as an admin > go to the post page > submit empty comment.

The other way is to use my link and type empty comment there.

The back end will figure out the comment was empty and it will redirect to the empty page with just message “Error: Please type a comment.” and link back – bad user experience.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yes – that’s what I see as well. So it does prevent the comment, but you’re not wrong, not the best user experience.

I’ve added the requested attribute to the comment field in the next version πŸ™‚

Adam

Thanks! Yes, it was there initially (comment-template.php:2389) but was hit by the filter πŸ˜‰

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.