[Support request] Clickable featured image on single post/page

Home Forums Support [Support request] Clickable featured image on single post/page

Home Forums Support Clickable featured image on single post/page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bas

Perhaps a stupid question about something I believe is a standard feature on other themes, but I couldn’t find it in GP:

How can I make the featured images on the single posts and pages ‘clickable’ and linking to the original image?

I’m using the Photoswipe lightbox.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

try this PHP Snippet:

add_filter( 'generate_single_featured_image_html', 'custom_add_post_thumbnail_link',25,1 );
    function custom_add_post_thumbnail_link($image_html) {
        if( $image_html == '' ) {
            $image_html = $image_html;
        } else {
            $large_image_url = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'large');
            $linked_html = '<a href="' . $large_image_url[0] . '">' . $image_html . '</a>';
        }
        return $linked_html;
    }

It will add a link to the Large image.

Bas

Thanks! How can it link to the full-sized image? We’re very consistent about images sizes, they’re all maximum 1920 px wide.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

In this part of the code:

wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'large');

change large to full so it becomes:

wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'full');

Bas

Great!

For the people using the Photoswipe lightbox, this lightbox doesn’t work when there’s only one image in the post/image. In that case use the following code:

add_filter( 'generate_single_featured_image_html', 'custom_add_post_thumbnail_link',25,1 );
    function custom_add_post_thumbnail_link($image_html) {
        if( $image_html == '' ) {
            $image_html = $image_html;
        } else {
            $large_image_url = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'full');
            $linked_html = '<a href="' . $large_image_url[0] . '" data-lbwps-gid=" $large_image_url[0] " >' . $image_html . '</a>';
        }
        return $linked_html;
    }
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome and thanks for sharing your final method.

ideawrights

David this was helpful. I found the hook implementation for apply_filters( ‘generate_single_featured_image_html’, $image_html ); via grep, but it doesn’t seem to be in your hook documentation.

All I found related to featured images was
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_featured_image_output/

Also a helpful hook to know about, but not what I needed. It would be helpful to add ‘generate_single_featured_image_html’ to the list here: https://docs.generatepress.com/collection/filters/

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Tom,

glad you found it of use. We’re continually reviewing and updating the docs, and yes there are many filters that are not listed ( maybe because there are so many ! ) _ ill get Leo to to take at adding that one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.