[Support request] Child theme questions

Home Forums Support [Support request] Child theme questions

Home Forums Support Child theme questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff

I’ve read several articles about the use of child themes on this site and other places but I still have some questions.

1. I just started a blog and don’t yet have any plans for any serious customizations, but I also don’t know what I don’t know and may want to do things to my site in the future. Should I be using the GP blank child theme?

2. Are there any downsides to using a child theme?

3. I’m currently using the child theme because I was worried about a WordPress update changing the way my site looks. Will/does everything function exactly the same as not using a child theme in terms of customizing the site, functionality, etc?

4. Is there any scenario where it’s better to NOT use a child theme? If not, then why isn’t using a child theme more prominently recommended or standard out of the box?

I’m just trying to figure out if I should be using a child theme or not.

Thank you!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Jeff,

Simply speaking, if you don’t plan on modifying any of GP’s parent template files then you do not need a child theme:
    https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress

This article should explain everything you need to know:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

1. No.

2. No.

3. As long as you are not modifying the parent template files as previously mentioned, then your site will stay exactly the same through updates with or without a child theme.

4. I would say don’t use one if you don’t need one as mentioned above.

Looking at your questions above, I would say that you do not need a child theme. You can always add one later if you need it down the road.

Hopefully this helps.

Jeff

As always, thanks Leo! One more question. I added the Google Analytics code before installing the child theme, do I need to redo anything or will it still work? It looks like the hook element I added is still in tact so I’m assuming I’m good to go.

Thanks again Leo!

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Jeff,

If you added it through a Hook Element, it should still work.

Hope this clarifies!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.