[Support request] child theme confusion

Home Forums Support [Support request] child theme confusion

Home Forums Support child theme confusion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leonard

Tom, i am a newbie, my experience with WP is none.

To explain my experience, i designed a site with Webplus 8. Xara and Coffeecup were too difficult.
    i Like Convertri, but it will not work for my site.

Designed my WeHelpDoctors.com with Wix. i want to pretty much make an identical copy.

It will not fit exactly into your theme [the ‘contact us’ is not relevant, as it is a jotform]
    Not sure whether or not to use a child theme.
    i do absolutely no coding.
    I real some posts about this.
    But not sure what is written about modifying templates and pages means that i should use a child theme, so i do not lose things when GP is updated. I need to customize some things, like u can see in my header.

This may end up being too time consuming for me to do. I am not a fast learner.
    I do not design or sell websites, just prefer to design and control mine.
    GP was recommended by several people. I need something that is easy.

Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

A child theme is only necessary if you’ll be modifying core GeneratePress files or adding custom page templates.

If you’re not comfortable with coding, you probably won’t do either of those, so a child theme shouldn’t be necessary.

Any changes you make in the Customizer using GP Premium won’t be lost when you update.

You should be able to get your website looking very similar with GP – especially using Sections and a plugin like this for the content columns: https://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-grid-columns/

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.