[Resolved] Child Theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Child Theme

Home Forums Support Child Theme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marta

Hello David,

I downloaded my Child Theme months ago and I am reading about changing the CSS, the PHP and things like these.

Can someone check if I have all set (I cannot remember what steps I took at the time) and don’t have to do anything else? I want to start working on the theme.

Thanks in advance.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

A child theme is actually not a requirement.

Do you plan on adding lots of CSS and PHP?

Let me know 🙂

Marta

Hi Leo,

I don’t know because I don’t really know anything about CSS and PHP. My level is beginner, I just want to easy thing.

But I have read that it is better to have a child theme and do all the work there in case all the information is lost due to an update in the parent child. Am I mistaken? If you tell me the parent GP premium theme is enough, I will deactivate the child one.

Thanks.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

But I have read that it is better to have a child theme and do all the work there in case all the information is lost due to an update in the parent child.

That is not true.

I would recommend starting without one first.

If you need to add some CSS later, you can add it to the Additional CSS field in the customizer:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/#additional-css

PHP can be adding using the Code Snippet plugin as well which is our preferred method:
    Adding PHP: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Marta

Thank you, Leo. I know basically nothing about this, so maybe I have understood the wrong thing.

I am going to activate the main theme then. One last question: do you recommend me to uninstall the child them or shall I just leave it there in case I need it in the future?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s up to you.

You can just leave it there and it won’t do any harm 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.