[Resolved] Changing fonts in body

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Changing fonts in body

Home Forums Support Changing fonts in body

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Cristo Rey

Thanks…did not know that. Is there a book “GP for dummies”? Or “computer stuff for people over a certain age”?

Cristo Rey

Thanks for all the help. I will probably wrap my head around all this stuff eventually….if my head doesn’t explode first. One more question and then I will leave you alone (I know, I have promised that before)

Here is my test page now using the customizer and increasing it to 24. Looks good to me, but only thing is it has <span style=”font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18pt;”> which I thought your said I should not have many span style on my pages.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm not sure what you mean? Isn’t that added in the HTML content?

Cristo Rey

Yea, I know this is getting confusing. On another topic, I was asking about a bit of css that would make my fonts smaller on mobile than on desktop. And that is when I first realized that I had done my site wrong, as far as selecting font size in the body. Tom had mentioned something about not having too many span style in my html.

So just to be sure I understand what I am doing. It will be too time consuming to re-do 800 pages, so I will leave them as they are.

Cristo Rey

Lets call this “resolved”. It was my mistake in the beginning…I copied and pasted from my old website into WordPress (GP) using inline styles. I should have selected the 18 px in the customizer. It is a bit confusing for a beginner like me, because when you paste it in it looks small in the editor. Had I just gone ahead and published then looked at it would have been fine….and saved me all that work of changing the text size. Another lessen learned….just wish the tuition did not cost so much.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem. WordPress does bring over all existing HTML if you paste into the Visual tab – it can be helpful, but it can also cause issues like this. From now on, paste into the Text tab, then format your content using the WP options ๐Ÿ™‚

Cristo Rey

Yes, I did that, but then it did not look the right text size in the editor, so I changed it in the editor. Had I just published it, then I would have realized that the GP settings would over-ride that and it would look like I wanted it too. As I said, lesson learned.

Over the next few months, I will may take your earlier advice and open up in the published page, then copy in to the editor using the text tab. But not sure how important it is…other than being able to change text size on mobile. So if that is the only advantage, it will not be high priority item for me.

Cristo Rey

I made a rookie mistake when I first did my website: I used inline styles, which I did not realize was overiding the typography settings in GP. So now I am going to correct that by changing all my pages. Since I have over 800 pages, this is going to be time consuming, so I want to be sure that I do it right.

Here is one of my pages that is incorrectly done, and here is the revised version, where I have hopefully stripped out the inline styles.

Unfortunately, it seems that the change has also messed up my envira gallery on this page so I will also have to change that as well, but I don’t have a lot of galleries so I can work around that problem.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Cristo Rey

Thanks, Leo. I will probably change the pages slowly over time. Main reason I want to is to be able to make text smaller on mobile, and I understand from previous posts that I cannot do that if I have it the way it is, have to get rid of <span style=”font-size: 18pt;”> that I have on every page.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yup you are correct. Not using inline style will make it much easier ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.