[Resolved] Change comment text and create anchor link to "Leave a comment"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Change comment text and create anchor link to "Leave a comment"

Home Forums Support Change comment text and create anchor link to "Leave a comment"

• This topic has 19 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Gian

Hi,

in my blog I have articles with over 400 comments (see url attached), for this reason I would like to create an anchor link that, when clicked, goes to the “Leave a comment” section.

The anchor link should be placed at the end of the article after the text “430 comments on (article title). <a href="#anchorlink">New comment</a>" .

Do you know how I can implement this option?

Thank you in advance

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You could use a Hook element in our Elements module.

Add a new hook and give it this content:

<a href="#respond">Leave a comment</a>

Then add to the after_content hook.

Then in Display Rules you can set it to only display in single posts.

Hope this helps 🙂

Gian

Thank you!

What if I’d like to place the anchor link after the text “430 comments… Leave a comment” only when there is at least 1 comment on single posts?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you would need the below_comments_title hook – this is very useful:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-visual-guide/#single-post

Gian

Hi David,

Excellent, thank you!

What if I’d like to give the anchor link the same styling as the other links of my website?

Also, is there a simple way to change the text “Leave a comment on…” and remove the post title?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Right now it’s a bit of a pain to change that text.

I added a filter in GP 2.2 which will make it much easier: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/commit/28d3c2acd7685e053e1f4f0baf442dffb966b5bb

You can make the above change to your comments.php file to take advantage of it right now if you’d like:

add_filter( 'generate_comment_form_title', function() {
        return 'Leave a comment';
    } );
    Gian

Ok, thank you 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! 🙂

Paul

Hi – I also want to remove the post title from this text, but don’t really understand what I need to do to achieve this. Please could you elaborate a little on the above.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

As of right now you’d need to edit the comments.php file: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/commit/28d3c2acd7685e053e1f4f0baf442dffb966b5bb

The red is what we removed, and the green is what we added. Note that if you copy/paste, you’ll need to remove the + characters from the start of each line.

Then you’ll be able to use the function I posted above to change the message.

Paul

That worked Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome 🙂

Iván

Hi, Tom:

I made what you explained to create an anchor link to “Leave a Comment”. The problem is that my anchor link doesn´t redirect me anywhere. Could you explain to me what am I doing wrong, please? http://lasimplicite.es

Otherwise, how can I style the link? I would like it to be right aligned and with another font.

Thank you very much!!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

What functions are you using to alter the link?

Iván

Hi Tom,

I have used a Hook element in your Elements module.
    I have added a new hook and give it this content: <a href="#respond">Leave a comment</a>
    Then I have added it to the after_content hook.
    Then in Display Rules I have set it to only display in single posts.

That´s all! Sorry for my lack of knowledge…

Thanks!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.