[Resolved] Can't get blogs to post excerpts or "read more" links.

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Can't get blogs to post excerpts or "read more" links.

Home Forums Support Can't get blogs to post excerpts or "read more" links.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Scott Alan Buss

The title says it all.

I really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks again for all that you do and have a great Friday!

Best,

Scott

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Scott,

Seems like it’s working on some posts but not others.

Are you using the read more tag at all within your posts?

Let me know,
    Tom

Scott Alan Buss

Howdy Tom,

The excerpts that are showing are coming from I’m not sure where. I can edit the post to make changes to the text, save the changes (which will show in the full blog post page, by the way), but the excerpt that is posted at the home page is unchanged.

As for the “read more” button or tag issue, I am talking about the preview excerpt posts in the main content part of the home page. I am using some widgets for “featured posts” on the right sidebar, and those widgets’ “read the post…” links do show up fine, but none of the main articles excerpted on the home page don’t have any “read more” buttons or linked text that I can see.

I hope that these clarifications are helpful and I really appreciate your help!

Have a good one,

Scott

Scott Alan Buss

I wish I knew where the currently listed excerpts on the home page where being pulled from and how I could edit them.

And I think that the missing “read more” buttons at the end of those excerpts will lead folks to just bounce away from the page, assuming that there’s nothing more to read (unless they happen to click on the article title or pic above).

Maybe the missing buttons are connected to the excerpt origin issue?

At any rate…thank you for your help!

Best,

Scott

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Scott,

There should definitely be read more links after your excerpts.

I see it happening on one of your posts, which leads me to believe there may be a plugin conflict somewhere.

Can you email me with a username and password so I can take a look and solve it for you?

Thanks,
    Tom

Scott Alan Buss

Thanks Tom!

I just emailed the info to you…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Scott,

This is happening because you’re using the “Excerpt” metabox to specify a specific excerpt for each post.

The Read more link doesn’t apply to the Excerpt metabox as it doesn’t have the same filters as automatic excerpts and using the more tag – I’m looking into a fix for this, but it seems the only way to do it would to have the read more link in a new paragraph, which looks kind of ugly.

So to fix this, go into your post, find the “Excerpt” metabox and remove the content.

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Tom

Scott Alan Buss

Woohoo!

The whole “excerpt” metabox had been missing entirely, but now it has returned, I have made the suggested changes, and all seems to be well.

Thank you, sir!

Keep up the excellent work!

Best,

Scott

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Happy to help!

Edward

Neither the “excerpt” box nor the “read more” link works for me. I found out the readmore tag only works with posts destined for the home page. So I inserted this code (<?php global $more; $more = false; ?> <?php the_content(‘Continue Reading’); ?>) into the child theme index.php file so that WordPress would allow me to use the “$more” flag elsewhere other than the home page……. No dice. I even tried splicing the functions.php file and inserting into GP Hooks inside the content container. Coding GP Hooks (badly, I’m thinking) merely duplicated sections of the post all over the page. The upshot is that my posts are only opened by clicking the excerpt title – not so elegant.
    Any help is much appreciated – and apologies if this has already come up and been resolved.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Edward,

In the “Blog” section of the Customizer do you have your content set to display full posts or excerpts?

If it’s set to excerpts, the read more link should display automatically.

If it’s set to full content, then the read more tag should work nicely.

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

eddie

Thanks for the lightning response. And let me say here, great theme. After setting Blog Content to show full post, all is well again. WordPress gets a little upset if it thinks you’ve got two Home pages (in this case, my front page is merely a token item). Right now, it won’t allow me to disable the footer element or lose the widget on the page I use for posts – so I have two login pages. I’m guessing this is where your GP Hooks might help.
    Once again, thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help ๐Ÿ™‚

Ah yes, WordPress ignores metabox options for the blog page.

To remove the widgets/sidebar on the blog page, go to “Customize > Layout > Blog Layout”.

To remove the footer widgets, you can use this CSS:

.blog .footer-widgets {
          display: none;
    }

Hope this helps!

eddie

Thanks Tom. That took care of the widgets: I used the Customize Layout. The footer bar won’t go away. The CSS had no effect. I tried shortening it in the Customizer but ran out of digits. It’s a minor glitch and I’m sure a fix will turn up. I look forward to seeing how your theme develops.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you possibly link me to the page so I can see why the footer widgets didn’t disappear?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.