[Resolved] Cannot Remove Tagline

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Cannot Remove Tagline

Home Forums Support Cannot Remove Tagline

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Urquhart

Hello. I need to remove a tagline from my site that appears just beneath the logo. I have looked at several of the files via the editor and cannot find the text I am searching for. I also have the tagline disabled in the settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You’ve used the Customizer to disable the tagline, but it’s still showing up?

Do you have any caching plugins activated? If so, try clearing your cache.

If not, do you think you can link me to your site so I can take a look?

Stephanie Urquhart

Hello. Sorry for the very lengthy delay!

I have disabled the tagline via the Customizer. Out of curiosity, I also unchecked “hide site title” and the title appeared. I checked the box again because I do not want it to show. So, I can confirm that the “hide site title” option works for me, but not “hide site tagline.”

The site is located at: nalspayneuter.org

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bdbrown

Hi Stephanie. Have you made any changes to the header.php file, maybe in a child theme? The HTML structure in the header doesn’t appear to be the same as the default theme layout.

Stephanie Urquhart

Hi bdbrown. I don’t have a child theme installed and I cannot recall making any changes to the header.php file. All of the changes I have made have been made via Customize. I’m really at a loss because I’ve searched several of the files for the “501 c3” text to no avail.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When you’ve checked the disable tagline box in “Customize > Site Identity”, does the checkbox stay checked, or does it become unchecked?

If you go there now, can you see the “501 c3” text?

Stephanie Urquhart

The checkbox becomes unchecked. “501 c3” text persists no matter what.

bdbrown

THe text will remain in the Tagline textbox regardless unless you delete it. If you add or remove text, or check or uncheck the Hide box, you should be able to see the changes in “real time” in the site preview. Does that happen?

Stephanie Urquhart

Very sorry, I didn’t fully understand Tom’s question/reply, but it’s clear now.

So I unchecked “hide site tagline” and typed “test,” which appeared in the live preview. Left the text “test” there and rechecked the “hide site tagline” box and “A 501 c3 Non-Profit Organization” reappears.

bdbrown

Do you have the GP Hooks Add-on installed? If so, is there any code there by chance? Something isn’t quite right because (a) we’re missing the <div class="site-branding"> tag which should enclose the tagline, and (b) the logo is on top of the tagline; the default layout places it below. So it would seem the possibilities are:
    1. The theme function generate_header_options() was modified.
    2. The same function has been modified in a child theme functions.php file; but you said you don’t have a child theme.
    3. There is some disconnect between the Customizer Site Identity Tagline and the WP General Settings Tagline; but this wouldn’t explain the changes in the header layout.
    4. There is some code in a hook that is modifying the header layout.

Maybe Tom has some other ideas.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I think you pretty much nailed it @bdbrown – there’s something custom going on.

Stephanie – has any of the above been done?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.