[Support request] Can I increase # of blog posts per page?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Can I increase # of blog posts per page?

Home Forums Support Can I increase # of blog posts per page?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard

Hi,

Currently, I am using genesis studio press on my live site. There are 94 blog pages with dashboard > reading > settings at 5 blog posts per page on the live site, while on the new GP site, there are 27 blog pages when reading settings are increased to 18 blog posts per page.

Any request for /blog/page/28 and above returns a 404 on the new site.

Can I still increase the reading settings even though I know these 404s will be generated? Will these 404s hurt SEO?

Thank you,
    Richard

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any request for /blog/page/28 and above returns a 404 on the new site.

That’s strange – this shouldn’t happen.

Can you activate a Twenty series WP theme to see if the same issue happens there?

Let me know 🙂

Richard

Hi Leo,
    I get the same behavior in the 2021 wp theme. Any url above /blog/page/28 give a 404 in GP or in 2021 a Nothing Here msg.

In my current live site, the genesis theme parallax pro has – default template, blog, and landing page under page attributes in the dashboard editor for pages.

In generatepress and 2021, those options of ‘default, blog, and landing’ are not there, only if there is a parent.

So, in dashboard > settings > reading, I set in ‘Reading Settings’ Your home page displays a static page and entered the URL of the page I currently use for the blog page.

Thanks for your help,
    Richard

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I get the same behavior in the 2021 wp theme. Any url above /blog/page/28 give a 404 in GP or in 2021 a Nothing Here msg.

That means it’s not a theme issue at all.

Can you try disabling all plugins and see if the issue is fixed that way?

Richard

Hi Leo, I did as you suggested and with all plugins disabled, I get ‘nothing here’ on 2021 theme and ‘oops that page cant be found’ with GP.

Now, since there are only 5 blog posts per page, there are 94 pages, but when I increase the reading setting to 18 posts per page, there are only 27 pages.

So it seems like there are no longer 94 blog pages, only 27 and it is correct that no /blog/page/ exists above 27.

I do wonder what would the correct behavior be? Should the software be able to know that the contents of /blog/page/94 is now found on /blog/page/27 of the new version for example?

Thanks,
    Richard

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m not aware of a limit on the number of pages you could have – but definitely haven’t seen 94 pages haha

Any chance you can check with WordPress’ support team and see if they’ve seen similar issues before?

Richard

If I increase to 18 and then there are 404s, will that be detrimental to SEO or will google understand that there is no longer content on that blog page?

I will try to find this WordPress support team and ask.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

will that be detrimental to SEO or will google understand that there is no longer content on that blog page?

Sorry I’m not an SEO expert so can’t really comment on this. I’d say that fixing the actual error would be better.

I will try to find this WordPress support team and ask.

Sounds good. Make sure you show them the error using a Twenty series theme. 🙂

Let me know how it goes.

Richard

Hi Leo,
    I asked the wordpress.com support team and they told me I have to ask a different group – WordPress.org support team.

In the meantime, can you tell me why my current theme, the genesis theme parallax pro has –

– default template,
    – blog, and
    – landing page under page attributes in the dashboard editor for pages.

While in generatepress and 2021, those options of ‘default, blog, and landing’ are not there under page attributes?

Is there a way to tell GP that my URL/blog is a blog page without having to set it in reading settings that my home page is a static page > the posts page – URL/blog?

Thank you,
    Richard

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

In the meantime, can you tell me why my current theme, the genesis theme parallax pro has –

– default template,
    – blog, and
    – landing page under page attributes in the dashboard editor for pages.

I’m not familiar with Genesis unfortunately.

As you can see that GP follows the same structure of WordPress default themes.

Is there a way to tell GP that my URL/blog is a blog page without having to set it in reading settings that my home page is a static page > the posts page – URL/blog?

I’m not aware of a way to do that. Using the Readings setting from WordPress is the standard practice.

Richard

okay, thank you Leo, will tell you if I hear anything from wordpress.org

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sounds good 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.