[Resolved] Blog page not loading child theme

Home Forums Support Blog page not loading child theme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gwen

Hi Tom,

I asked this question in the Facebook Group and you generously offered to take a look at the problem I’m having. I’m trying to add a blog page to an already-completed site (cloned, on dev server) and the blog page isn’t recognizing the child theme.

I used Beaver Builder modules to create most of the “theme” — and I do *now* understand that I can’t style a core-WP-blog page with BB. So I’ll be looking into using Beaver Themer for that issue.

HOWEVER, the left column is pure GP and “should” render even if the rest of the page looks wonky. So before I go on and repeat this mistake with clients’ sites I’d like to understand where I went wrong.

Thanks!!

GeneratePress 1.3.46
    GP Premium 1.3
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It looks your posts are actually rendering, but the entry title is hidden because of this CSS you have:

header {
        display: none;
    }

If you want to hide the site header, I would do this:

.site-header {
        display: none;
    }

Then if you set your blog sidebar layout to have a left sidebar, you should get the same relative layout as your other pages.

Let me know 🙂

Gwen

Thanks for the heads-up on the .site-header vs. header declaration! Nice catch!

But that pesky left column…. On the blog page itself, in the Sidebar Layout settings I’ve tried Default and Sidebar/Content, and the page still renders without the left column.

If you look at the News page, that’s a blank page that’s displaying as it “should.” But if I point to that page in Settings/Reading and says ‘use that page for the blog’, then the left column disappears. Meanwhile, the Blog page will then display with the left column and no blog content…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Gwen

Wait, wait… I’m not sure. I’m changing the Sidebar Layout on the Blog page….

Gwen

ACK — that’s it! I totally forgot about that setting in the customizer! Sorry for taking your time but THANK YOU for leading me out of this pit. You are GREAT!!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome! Glad I could help 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.