- This topic has 12 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Leo.
July 29, 2020 at 2:58 pm #1381144Curt
New site. Just added dummy content and set the homepage to display posts.
I open Customize > Layout > Blog and under Content > Archives I set the Content Type = Excerpt, Excerpt Word Count = 22.
But those settings are only being applied to some of the five entries on that homepage. The rest are full text.
Images are also not responding to some settings. In that same interface location I set Featured Images > Archives to align Right. But they’re still centered. I can resize those images just fine. But the alignment isn’t working.
I’m using a basic child theme and the functions.php is empty. There’s also no additional CSS that might cross the selector streams.July 29, 2020 at 3:19 pm #1381153LeoStaffCustomer Support
Are the excerpt metabox empty for those posts that aren’t working?
For example, the excerpt of this post:
Doesn’t match the actual content:
https://www.screencast.com/t/if3hHayz8RfiJuly 29, 2020 at 3:46 pm #1381164Curt
Using the classic editor, and I don’t have anything installed to set the excerpt except the
<!–more–> tag. So yes, I’m not specifying any excerpt in the Post admin interface.
That occurred to me but I thought there would be some kind of default definition of excerpt length.July 29, 2020 at 4:09 pm #1381177LeoStaffCustomer Support
Can you check if there is anything added in here?
https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/add-excerpts-to-your-pages-in-wordpress/July 29, 2020 at 4:19 pm #1381185Curt
I referenced that exact same article, and installed the snippet. But that only adds to Pages and not Posts. So still at square one there.
I also have Yoast on other sites that I can add here and activate. I think it can add the excerpt at the post level.
I guess the lesson here is that the excerpt and excerpt length settings in GP both require you have an excerpt defined?July 29, 2020 at 5:02 pm #1381209Curt
Oh Jesus H.
Was adding that excerpt field on Posts really as easy as just going into Screen Options and checking a box? Noob of the year. Right here, Leo.July 29, 2020 at 10:18 pm #1381339LeoStaffCustomer SupportJuly 30, 2020 at 10:25 am #1382120Curt
I can’t quite close this out yet because I’m still seeing erratic behavior with both the excerpt (some showing properly, some full text) and image alignment (all centered even though set to align right). Both of those are properly set in the Customize settings.
I’m going to flush that dummy content and start new in case that’s part of the issue.July 30, 2020 at 10:29 am #1382128LeoStaffCustomer SupportJuly 30, 2020 at 11:00 am #1382181Curt
Yeah, put new dummy Posts in there and …
1. Image alignment still centered, but specified Right.
2. Excerpt still not performing as expected. Length set at 22 but it appears to be showing whatever is set in the Excerpts field in post meta.
3. No Read More button appears as specified, except on the first article.July 30, 2020 at 11:06 am #1382185LeoStaffCustomer Support
Let’s take care of the excerpt issues in this post and please open a new topic for the image questions.
2. That is the whole point of the excerpt field/metabox. When that field is used, it overwrites the default excerpt word count. It should make sense since the excerpt in the metabox doesn’t actually show in the post content so there is no point to add it in if it just gets trim by the word count.
3. This should help:
https://docs.generatepress.com/article/activating-read-custom-excerpt/July 30, 2020 at 11:52 am #1382218Curt
Got it. Removed all text from excerpt fields and it’s now behaving as expected. Thanks for the explainer.
Image thread coming soon.July 30, 2020 at 12:14 pm #1382245
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.