[Resolved] Best way to update my old theme to generate Press

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Best way to update my old theme to generate Press

Home Forums Support Best way to update my old theme to generate Press

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kris

Hi guys!

Due to PHP upgrade I need to update my old theme to Generate Press at socialmediarevolver.com
    I have already made most of the configurations and settings ready to go at sandbox.digpublish.com
    What is the best way of transferring all these settings etc. over so I don’t have to start the process from scratch, and minimize the “Under Construction” time? I have C-panel access to both sites.

Cheers,
    Kris

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “settings”.

If it’s the contents, I believe you can transfer these by exporting them through Dashboard > Tools > Export and then import then on the new site through Dashboard > Tools > Import with WordPress importer.

Alternatively, there are plugins that does this for you.

As for the theme styling, you may be better of starting a new one, meaning, replicating the general layout from scratch with GeneratePress’ customizer because it may be a overall faster/less hassle approach than copying the stylesheets from the old site and do testing/debugging on which works and which doesn’t.

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Kris

Thank you for your quick reply Elvin! It is not the contents, but all the settings I have done in order to make it look the same as my current website with the old theme. Can I copy/paste or export these somehow?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s unlikely that it’ll work out of the box as there are most definitely difference between coding between the two themes.

While you can copy and paste the CSS to the new site, while some may work, some may not because of possible differences in CSS classes rendered by the theme’s PHP codes.

That said, while it may make sense to copy and paste the settings to the new site given some parts of it may work, it may be to difficult or time consuming for to try to fix the parts that don’t work.

It may be the case where it may be faster to just re-do the settings with GeneratePress than to debug the imported settings settings to make it work with GeneratePress.

A wise man once said:

Edmund

Can I tag onto this thread, as I have a similar request, and wonder if Kris was fully understood.
    I too have switched to GeneratePress, due to servers upgrading the PHP, and the old theme – Canvas, not being compatible with the latest PHP.
    So what I have done, and I think it is what Kris did, is create a new site, using GeneratePress and a child theme, in a sandbox environment, customising the sandbox GeneratePress child them to look like my old site.
    I now have installed but not activated, GenreatePress on my live site.
    I want to move all of the settings that I have made in the Sandbox version of generatePress, to my live site version of GeneratePress, and wonder what the easiest way of doing this is?
    I don’t really want to go through every setting from the sandbox, and replicate manually in the live site due to down time, and the risk that I miss a setting (or cannot find it on the sandbox site as i am still getting used to all of the settings).
    I had hoped to use FTP to copy the child theme folder from sandbox and replace the child them folder for my live site with it – but on looking into the files in the sandbox child them, they seem to be pretty empty – so I am thinking the settings must be held somewhere else.
    I hope I am making sense, and would be grateful for any advice.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Edmund,

You can actually export your GeneratePress settings.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/import-export-overview/#exporting-your-settings

This is found on Dashboard > Appearance > GeneratePress.

And you can import it on the same page as well.

Here’s what you’re supposed to see: https://share.getcloudapp.com/Z4u6pLER

A wise man once said:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.