[Resolved] ARIA landmarks

Home Forums Support [Resolved] ARIA landmarks

Home Forums Support ARIA landmarks

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Andersen

Hi,

I ran a test for my website using GP theme and GP Premium.

I got this result:

“We could not detect any ARIA landmarks on your page. Improve navigation and make your site more accessible by adding ARIA landmark roles.”

Elsewhere I read that support of this was a god thing and should be supported by the Theme in use.

Does GP theme supporty ARIA landmark roles?

Best regard
    Michael

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

In most cases, we use HTML5 elements like header and nav which are landmarks themselves.

However, it is planned to add aria landmarks in cases where there is more than one header or nav element on the page 🙂

Elliott

This won’t exactly solve the issue because “All page content must be contained by landmarks”
    https://dequeuniversity.com/rules/axe/3.5/region?application=AxeChrome

Currently GeneratePress does not meet this simple guideline.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would prefer to stick with the HTML5 landmarks and add aria-label attributes where needed to distinguish between them if needed. This will be done in GP 3.1.0.

Elliott

I agree, Tom. HTML5 landmarks will work just fine, however we need to make sure the landmarks contain everything on the page. For instance, right now the <header> is wrapped in a div container.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It shouldn’t by default, but it can be if the header is merged.

Would that be an issue? If so, do you have a link where I can read more on that?

Elliott
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Got it, thanks!

This would likely be very hard to achieve without affecting/breaking existing sites, but we’ll do our best. At the very least we’ll be adding more aria-label attributes throughout to make things easier on screen readers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.