[Resolved] Adding search to header with custom width for mobile/desktop

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Adding search to header with custom width for mobile/desktop

Home Forums Support Adding search to header with custom width for mobile/desktop

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William

Hi there,
    I have a plugin that allows AJAX searches which I want to have on display in the header.

It is similar to the like of this, this, and this website.

The website I am adding such code to is here.

Is there a way to do this? I would also appreciate a drop down like the above examples too for mobile.

I would like the search bar to appear to the right of the logo for desktop, before the navigation menu.

Many thanks if this is possible.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Just to confirm, you’d like to add the search box here?
    https://www.screencast.com/t/XpJhWPvY7C

Keep in mind that positioning there would leave very little to no space when the window shrinks.

If you want to give it a shot, try adding it using the generate_inside_navigation hook first using a hook element:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-element-overview/

And wrap it in a div like this:

<div class="custom-search-form">
        search here
    </div>

The mobile drop down option would require a custom solution that modifies the plugin’s code unfortunately.

William

Thanks for that – I see the search in the desktop menu, is there a way to make it a big wider (see here).

I’m confused what you mean with little to no space when window shrinks – I’ve made the menu slightly smaller and it would help if the default search button could be removed too?

As for the mobile version, is there a way to have the search button once click show a drop down area which I can then stick a shortcode for the search plugin in, similar to this mobile version?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can change the width with this CSS:

@media (min-width: 769px) {
        .inside-navigation div#ajaxsearchpro1_2 {
            width: 200px;
        }
    }

it would help if the default search button could be removed too?

It can be removed in the customizer:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/navigation-search/

As for the mobile version, is there a way to have the search button once click show a drop down area which I can then stick a shortcode for the search plugin in, similar to this mobile version?

Unfortunately that would require a custom solution that modifies the output of the plugin’s search form.

William

Thank you – is it possible to move the logo further to the left and the search closer to the logo too?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try this CSS:

.nav-align-right .inside-navigation {
        justify-content: flex-start;
    }
    .nav-align-right .navigation-branding {
        margin-right: 10px;
    }
    .nav-align-right .custom-search-form {
        margin-right: auto;
    }
    William

That seems to do the job, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.