Black Friday Sale! Get up to $40 off GP Premium!Learn more

[Resolved] Add Filter to Theme's functions.php

Home Forums Support Add Filter to Theme's functions.php

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dominik Günder

Hey there,

today i’ve got two questions if you don’t mind.

I want to add the following to the themes functions.php:

add_filter(‘wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime’,create_function(‘$a’, ‘return 60;’))

This will force RSS Widgets to refresh every 60 seconds so i always have got the latest information from my forums.

1.) When you release a theme update, all my custom information from functions.php are gone. Is there a clean way to prevent this?

2.) After the latest theme update my string does not work anymore. I added it – as usual – to “forefront”‘s functions.php but then my page won’t load. (Just shows a white page)

Do you have any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance,
    Dominik

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dominik,

1. Yes – this is annoying, and the trouble with releasing child themes. Your best bet is to use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/pluginception/

It allows you to create a plugin that you can add your PHP to – this way, theme updates won’t ever touch your custom functions.

2. Make sure it looks like this:

add_filter('wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime',create_function('$a', 'return 60;'));

Dominik Günder

Hey Tom,

thanks for the quick answer. Pluginception works perfectly. I’m wondering how you always find these awesome plugins.. I’ve been searching for this over the last days. 😉

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.