Ability to truncate excerpt length of Manual Excerpt

Home Forums Support Ability to truncate excerpt length of Manual Excerpt

Home Forums Support Ability to truncate excerpt length of Manual Excerpt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cbkproductions

Hi Tom,

Thanks for all of you great work!

I noticed that when using a manually entered excerpt, the “excerpt length” & “read more” features do not take effect. Is there any way to have these features still apply to the posts when excerpts are manually created?

I am running a site with multiple contributors who sometimes need to add their excerpt manually. I still want to have the excerpt length truncated to a defined character limit to make the posts listing look organized (regardless of how long the manual excerpt is).
    Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Unfortunately there’s no real way to do this I don’t think, as it would making defining a manual excerpt or using the read more tag pointless. The point of those is to set a different excerpt than normal (using the defined word amount).

I know that it can’t be done with the more tag, but I’m not sure about the manual excerpt – are they adding their excerpt to the “Excerpt” metabox?

cbkproductions

Yes. They are adding the excerpt via the Excerpt metabox.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I don’t believe it’s possible unfortunately without writing your own excerpt function and replacing the core one.

The purpose of the Excerpt metabox and the read more tag is to break outside of the automatic excerpt length, which can be super helpful if you don’t want the automatic cutoff.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.