[Resolved] 404’s on Tags?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] 404’s on Tags?

Home Forums Support 404’s on Tags?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel

Hey there, using the marketer theme.

We are an investment website and typically have quotes on our tag pages, which are stock tickers.

However, with marketer if the tag doesn’t have any posts assigned to it, it leads to a 404 page instead of just displaying the quote.

How would I go about fixing this? I’ve put a tag in the URL here. This ticker exists with a quotetation script, however because I haven’t written any posts on it (it may just be inside of a table or something with a link to the quote) it gives a 404.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

However, with marketer if the tag doesn’t have any posts assigned to it, it leads to a 404 page instead of just displaying the quote.

I’m not sure if I understand.

Things like tags and categories are all handled by WordPress.

The links attached to tags and categories would link to the archives associated with them so you need to have posts with those tags and categories in order for the archives to show.

Daniel

Strange. I’m using News Pro theme by StudioPress right now, and the tags appear regardless if there is content posted in them.

A tag can have 0 posts in its archives on my current site, yet it doesn’t lead to a 404 error. It shows our quote.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GP has a no-results template:

https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/35fe967ca7351a0517d258ab5c73150aa40d1f9a/no-results.php

You can copy that to your child theme and customize that if you need

Daniel

I’m not sure if this will work. The script for the tag changes. For example, I need to manually create the tag pages (created over 600 on our other site) and insert the script with the ticker name.

I’ve been inserting them in the description of the tag thus far, but the tags I manually created that have 0 posts tagged under them head to a 404 error.

Daniel

This is my bad! It’s not actually a 404, it’s just telling me no content has been found!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yea – I still confuse myself with that sometimes. Glad you got it sorted 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.