[Resolved] 2 Qs: (1) background color of sticky navigation (2) hook in a separate container

Home Forums Support [Resolved] 2 Qs: (1) background color of sticky navigation (2) hook in a separate container

Home Forums Support 2 Qs: (1) background color of sticky navigation (2) hook in a separate container

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ernest

Fantastic work with this theme! I’m coming from Genesis so it’s a bit of a transition. I have two questions:

1) When using page headers, the menu becomes transparent (which is great), but if using a sticky menu – the background turns whatever the primary navigation background color is. Any way to control the sticky menu background color separately? Or have it come in once we’ve scrolled past the header?

2) If I wanted to create an e-mail signup to go under individual single posts, but in a separate container (outside of <article>), which hook would I use? Ideally, I would like it to go in the same space as the comments area.

Thanks so much!

Ernest

To be a bit more specific – is there a hook that would be below the article content, but before the comment. If not, what’s the best I could accomplish this?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. Actually just answered a similar question here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-change-sticky-navigation-menu-text-colour/

2. Been working on a hooks visualization page. Here is sneak peek that might help:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/zO1tdoTiszd

Let me know πŸ™‚

Ernest

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

1) I have the premium version and was playing around with the colors in there. In the page headers, there are options to change the navigation colors, but not sticky navigation colors. I guess it could be tweaked via CSS – I just figured I missed a setting area somewhere.

2) generate_before_comments is what I’m after! However, it isn’t inside of GP hooks (or I don’t see it). Would it be best to manually add it?

Edit / Update:

I think I figured out what I was looking for in terms of the sticky menu! Just one variable to solve. With Sticky Navigation ON, and Transition set at NONE, I would just like to fade in the background at the same speed as the nav area adjusts (70px to 60px in my current example). Something similar to what happens on this site: http://ernestmedia.com/

Cheers! And Happy Canada Day πŸ™‚

Ernest

Update: Modified the GP hooks plugin – #2 is solved for now. I’ll have to remember to save the code as updates roll out πŸ™‚

Ernest

Edit: solved removing header from Archives.

.blog .site-header {
    display:none;
    }

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. If you are using GP Page Headers, then you can set the Navigation color to transparent in the Page Header Advanced Options. Then the Sticky navigation will maintain the Navigation Colors you have set in the customiser.
    2. You can use an add-action for hooking this content:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_before_comments/
    3. That site looks like it’s using a gradient overlay on the images. So you could do something like this:

.inside-page-header-container:after {
        content: β€œβ€;
        display: block;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        position: absolute;
        top: 0;
        background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)), to(#000));
        background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(255, 255, 255, 0), #000);
        visibility: visible;
        z-index: -1;
    }

GP 1.7 is about to be released in Beta, where hooks and disabling elements will become super simple

Ernest

Hi David – thanks so much!

I modified the GP hooks plugin to include generate_before_comments, and I think I found a solution for the stick menu as well.

Cheers!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome – you will be pleased to hear that GP 1.7 will open up all the hooks for you in the near future πŸ™‚

Ernest

Thanks again for such quick responses.

I’ll build the new site on a child theme. How many changes can we expect? Do you foresee anything that could potentially break a design?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The update is mainly on Hooks and Page Headers.

We definitely don’t plan on breaking anyone’s existing design. If we can foresee it we would definitely fix it before the release πŸ˜‰
    The beta version is coming out this week and we would love if you can test it out πŸ™‚

Ernest

Sounds interesting! And sure, let me know when the beta is up – I can have a look on my test site.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.