[Resolved] Yoast SEO messes up my blog grid!

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Yoast SEO messes up my blog grid!

Home Forums Support Yoast SEO messes up my blog grid!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    George

Here is an image with my blog grid without Yoast activated:

View post on imgur.com

and here is one with Yoast activated:

View post on imgur.com

I don’t see any errors in the console either. What could it be?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any chance you can link me to your site?

Thanks!

George

Hi, I sent the link through your contact page. I am pretty sure you are aware but is it too hard to create a private function here in the forums so that we can send links securely only visible to forum admins?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

We already have that. You can edit the original topic and use the private URL field.

I’ve added in for you.

George

Hmmm, strange, I don’t see such a field…Unless it was available when Tom replied and I missed it somehow!

George

Update on this:

I have replicated the site locally, removed all plugins apart from GP Premium and Yoast and the problem still presists. I have never seen that before and couldn’t find anything on the Internet either. Also switched from child theme to original theme with the same issue happening. 2 columns on the blog grid seems to be displaying fine. 3 or more theproblem starts appearing.

On my other website made with GP with similar layout, the blog displays fine with Yoast SEO activated:
    http://www.hypersensemusic.com/blog

Very strange.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The problem site is missing this container div:

<div class="generate-columns-container">

</div>

That should appear around the posts.

Any changes made to core files or custom functions added?

George

Hi Tom, the container dissapears when Yoast is activatedand is there when Yoast SEO is deactivated! On my test site I have disabled everything apart from GP premium, I have also deactivated all modules apart from blog. Custom functions exist in code snippets but I have the plugin deactivated as well. I had some custom code in a hook as well but as I said I have deactivated that as well. Also no changes to the core. Switching to GeneratePress original theme still has the same issue. I have also reinstalled latest WordPress update with no luck. I have reinstalled GeneratePress and also GP Premium.

It used to work fine before though. Could it be that a plugin that I added caused that issue? I wouldn’t think so though. There was a bug in a plugin I use that caused the customizer not to display (it displayed unstyled native plugin widget info instead) and that was because the developer copied the wrong thing in a PHP file but it has been resolved since then. And as I said when Yoast SEO is deactivated, the missing div comes back again.

It’s the weirdest bug I have ever encountered!

George

Hi Tom. I found out what it is. You wouldn’t believe it! I am going to try and explain it.

The issue appears when advanced Yoast SEO settings is activated, then in SEO->Social section from the left, In Facebook and Twitter tab deactivating the Add Open Graph meta data(Facebook) and Add Twitter card meta data(Twitter). I want those deactivate because I am using my own custom solution. Now, if you have created a page (called Blog, for example) and you have that page in Settings->Reading set as your Posts page and add it to your menu, the problem appears with the column layouts where the columns container gets stripped out! When the above mentioned Facebook and Twitter settigns get enabled, the problem goes away.

I have also replicated it on my local machine by installing GP 1.6 beta and the Studio starter site. This starter site uses the blog page as a category. Basically all posts are assigned the Blog category and the menu item displays that category. I tried adding a page called Blog Page and added that page to the Posts page in Settings->Reading, then added Blog Page in the menu at the top and the problem appeared there too!

Did I just find out a bug?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds like it – I’ll take a closer look and will get back to you.

Thanks!

George

Hi Tom, I was wondering if you had a chance to have a look at it?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

No fix yet, but hoping to have it figured out by 1.6-beta.3.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just released GPP 1.6-beta.3 which should fix this ๐Ÿ™‚

George

Hi Tom, I can confirm that it works fine now in my local installation.

1) I am intrigued. What was this all about anyway?
    2) I have a site ready to go in a live environment(currently it’s in maintenance mode). Would you say that it is safe to use beta 3 in a live environment?

Thanks again Tom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. The columns make sure they only apply to the “post” post type. For some reason, disabling those Yoast settings tripped up the logic and set the post as a “page”.

2. You should be good to go – we’ll be releasing the first release candidate on Wednesday ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.