[Resolved] WP Show Posts: Sticky posts NOT ignored when Taxonomy selected

Home Forums Support [Resolved] WP Show Posts: Sticky posts NOT ignored when Taxonomy selected

Home Forums Support WP Show Posts: Sticky posts NOT ignored when Taxonomy selected

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rafał

Hi there!
    This thread on WP Support has been closed unresolved → “If Taxonomy is by Category, sticky posts are ignored“, however, for almost 2 years there was no update that would fix this issue.
    Any hacky workaround? Please…

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Rafal,

The issue has something to so w/ WordPress’ core function WP_query().

It doesn’t allow sticky posts for archive pages (queries w/ specified taxonomy).

You can even test this out yourself by assigning a sticky post and check if it goes first on the list on its own category/tag archive page.

But as for workaround, I’d steer away from using WordPress default’s way of assigning sticky posts. I’d use a custom field to assign if a post is a sticky post and then use this as meta_key and meta_value for orderby on the query.

also, I’d make 2 of the same category post lists stacking on top of each other.

The first list will be strictly for posts of the same category that have “sticky” indicated through its custom field.

The second list will be strictly for posts of the same category that excludes posts that have “sticky” indicated through its custom field to avoid duplicate posts.

Rafał

Hi Elvin,
    Thank you for your clever workaround. I’m afraid it would be handy in a small project, but not at website where many posts are published each day, by many users.
    If only we could stay with Meta key / Meta value for sticky posts, but we have to assign the meta for every posttrue or false – haven’t we?

Rafał

Please, let me come back to the WP “native-sticky-inconvenience-in-archives”. I admit, it takes place in standard outputs.

However, what do you think about the new Query Block (from WP 5.8), which can maintain sticky posts very well. You may: include, exclude, or show only sticky posts!

Unfortunately, the biggest performance problem is here—you can’t choose featured image size (only the full one).

On the other hand, Latest Posts widget allows to choose image size, but lacks other crucial options.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

To clarify, do we have to simply include the sticky post or must we have it show as the first post on the list?

If its just including sticky posts to the post list, that’s something we can do w/ WPSP.

But if its making the sticky post as the first post on the category query. I don’t think wp_query does that. Even the Query block can’t do it. (it will include the sticky post but it will follow the orderby value of the query and NOT put the sticky post on the top of the list)

Rafał

In my case the aim is to exclude sticky posts in a single category list (there are many blocks – per each category). Sticky post is highlighted in a separate block.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ah in that case try this:

Use our beta version of the WPSP plugin – https://github.com/tomusborne/wp-show-posts/tree/release/1.2

and then do this PHP filter. (replace 10 on the line if ( 10 === (int) $settings['list_id'] ) with your target WPSP ID)

add_filter( 'wp_show_posts_shortcode_args', function( $args, $settings ) {
        if ( 10 === (int) $settings['list_id'] ) {
    		$sticky = get_option( 'sticky_posts' );
    		$args['post__not_in'] = $sticky;
        }

return $args;
    }, 20, 2 );
    Rafał

That’s it!!!
    Works for me 🙂
    Thank you, Elvin!

PS
    I’d recommend to implement your filter into official release of WPSP, under the hood of checkbox “Ignore sticky posts“.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

PS
    I’d recommend to implement your filter into official release of WPSP, under the hood of checkbox “Ignore sticky posts“.

Yeah that’s actually what its supposed to do but it doesn’t apply when the query has taxonomy. It’s toggling true or false on 'ignore_sticky_posts'.

I’ve logged it as an issue on our GitHub page for the next patch. 😀
    https://github.com/tomusborne/wp-show-posts/issues/41

Rafał

Thanks a lot!

Regards & respect

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem. Glad to be of any help. 😀

Rafał

If someone would like to go along my scenario:
    WPSP with ID 888 shows sticky only, all other lists exclude sticky posts.

add_filter( 'wp_show_posts_shortcode_args', function( $args, $settings ) {
    	if ( 888 != (int) $settings['list_id'] ) {
    		$args['post__not_in'] = $sticky;
    	}
    	if ( 888 === (int) $settings['list_id'] ) {
    		$args['post__in'] = $sticky;
    	}
    	return $args;
    }, 20, 2 );
    Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Not sure what’s the question here. Is the code not working?

Can you explain what’s the aim of the code? Let us know.

Rafał

Is working! Thanks to you, Elvin.
    Just share my solution 🙂

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Oh nice one! Thanks for sharing it with us. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.