[Resolved] WordPress text editor not showing html

Home Forums Support [Resolved] WordPress text editor not showing html

Home Forums Support WordPress text editor not showing html

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leon Rowan

I am using the latest version of WordPress and GeneratePress with Marketer theme. Elementor Pro is enabled, but not in use yet. I’m on Kinsta hosting (Nginx).Using Classic Editor plugin. TinyMCE Advanced and Re-add text underline and justify plugins are installed and active.

The WordPress text editor does not show html. Is this a GeneratePress theme thing please?

Do I need to use a plugin to get the html back in the text editor? If so, will that ‘damage’ things theme wise?

Thank you.

PS: among other things, I use the WordPress editor to make draft posts visually and then go to text editor to copy the html so I can use it somewhere where html is required, such as a side bar widget.

Leon Rowan

In case it helps anyone, I have found a way to resolve this, which I will use when I need to get the html. (I don’t want to use an html editor external to WordPress/plugins because an online one I tried added extra stuff which wasn’t there when I finally got WordPress to show the html, and also; in life generally I tend to try to avoid adding extra potential complications unless necessary – sticking to the WordPress environment for editing means there’s less chance of something going wrong).

TinyMCE Advanced/Settings/Classic Editor(TinyMCE)/Advanced Options

I quote:

Keep paragraph tags
    Recommended for better compatibility with the Block Editor (Gutenberg).

Stop removing the <p> and <br> tags when saving and show them in the Text editor. This will make it possible to use more advanced coding in the Text editor without the back-end filtering affecting it much. However it may behave unexpectedly in rare cases, so test it thoroughly before enabling it permanently. Line breaks in the Text editor would still affect the output, in particular do not use empty lines, line breaks inside HTML tags or multiple <br> tags.

For a non techie like me this looks slightly concerning so I will not leave it enabled all the time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is likely a WordPress 5.0 thing. Glad you found a solution – thanks for sharing it! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.