[Support request] Woocommerce Catalogue Mode

Home Forums Support [Support request] Woocommerce Catalogue Mode

Home Forums Support Woocommerce Catalogue Mode

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matthias

Hi there,

after some evaluation i got gp premium. So: new user.

When i looked for my points to choose I wrote some emails with leo – and this got me choosing gp. Besides some other points i may add to another topic.

This is about one thing i already asked in the mail and which gp seemed to support kindoff: Using Woocommerce as catalog. Which means visitors don’t see prices and can’t “buy” stuff directly but instead an email is sent to us.
    in the documentation there is an option to “display price”. But this doesn’t seem to be for both – item list and product page. Which would be my wish – to hide it overall.

And to change the button texts for the “buy now” to “send inquiry” in woocommerce – but guess the last one is more related to that plugin.

So – My question would be how can i make gp use woocommerce as catalogue?
    Does anyone have experience using gp for that? I know there are extra plugins for that – but since gp has the “display price” option this seems to be possible.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

enabling catalog mode is related to the Woocommerce plugin and not the theme, as there is more involved then hiding the price.

This article covers several ways of changing the behaviour:

https://businessbloomer.com/woocommerce-how-to-enable-catalog-mode/

Matthias

well – depends on what you mean by catalogue mode.
    For me it is “simply” hiding prices and replacing the add to cart button with “send question” or similar.

Also the comments in your link kind of disagree. In fact i asked the exact question here and at astra theme before purchasing this – where the latter can be used to hide the button , and you can decide to hide the price of products on a catalog page and single product page
    In the comments oceanwp is meantioned as beeing able to do that. And as you might know those two probably are most frequently mentioned in comparisons with generatepress.

So theme related may not be exactly right – but it sure is related to woocommerce addons of a theme ๐Ÿ˜‰ Consider this a suggestion for adding features to that plugin.

So as (not tested- but will the next days/weeks) the woocommerce documentation shows an option to check/uncheck Display price on archive pages i will try to find a solution to extend this
    to the single product pages and also a solution to hide the cart+cart button.
    I prefer to keep number of plugins at a minumum – so i will look what other ways can work and plugins as a later option.

I will keep you posted with my efforts – so others wanting the same may get some info.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Maybe i was a little overzealous with my ‘not theme related’ response ๐Ÿ™‚
    We’ll take a closer look to see if this is something that can be integrated in a future update.

Look forward to any updates you have

Matthias

as i am currently trying to get the catalogue running (with an option to send an enquiry) i searched a bit further and got some question.

In customize->layout-> woocommerce

There are the options:
    – display price
    – display add to cart button

Which command is behind these two options?

is it (from gp-premium wooc. functions.php:

for display price:
    if ( false === $archive_price ) {
    remove_action( ‘woocommerce_after_shop_loop_item_title’, ‘woocommerce_template_loop_price’, 10 );

and display add to cart button:

if ( false === $archive_add_to_cart ) {
    remove_action( ‘woocommerce_after_shop_loop_item’, ‘woocommerce_template_loop_add_to_cart’, 10 );

?
    trying to understand – and extend to the product page (and also solve how to add enquiry when there is no price).

Reason i am asking is is trying to understand what to do – and also this article:
    https://wisdmlabs.com/blog/the-right-way-to-hide-add-to-cart-button-in-woocommerce/

who mentions that adding:
    remove_action( ‘woocommerce_after_shop_loop_item’, ‘woocommerce_template_loop_add_to_cart’ );
    remove_action( ‘woocommerce_single_product_summary’, ‘woocommerce_template_single_add_to_cart’, 30 );

isnt the best way and may cause problems.

As always: im no programmer – and could probably never find these solutions myself. but im quite good in putting puzzle parts together. advanced user as you might say.

Would be nice to hear your 2 cent on that.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Yes, those lines are responsible for showing/disabling the price and add to cart button/form.

The second snippet you shared is likely the best way to remove the add to cart area on single products.

Have you considered a plugin like this?: https://wordpress.org/plugins/yith-woocommerce-catalog-mode/

Then you could just hook in a custom “Send message” button into the single product page.

Matthias

i had a look yes – but i prefer to have as little plugins as possible – as from my point of view quite a lot are abandoned after some time. I am currently rebuilding our (small) company website which we had made in contract (and were not that satisfied). The page is about 2 years without updates and most of the plugins we couldn’t simply update since they are no longer developed.

As i said – im not a developer – but would call myself an advanced user (linux for over a decade and in a firm where we manage our own it) – so i often think: why a “whole” plugin for such a small task.
    So overall i’m really sceptical when choosing plugins and software in general. If you wouldn’t have been around for some time i wouldn’t have picked gp either.
    Big plus is also if they are open source – glad to pay for that – so tbh in some cases i stray from that thinking (e.g. currently i choosed gutenberg forms as form plugin).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In some cases you’re 100% correct – some people totally over-complicate their plugins. However, some people keep it simple and only add code to accomplish the task, which is exactly what you or me would do if we did it without a plugin. The good thing about plugins is someone else maintains the code and keeps it up to date so you don’t have to. Of course, that only applies to actively maintained plugins.

Without the plugin, you basically want to use those remove_action functions to remove the add to cart buttons/forms. Then you can use add_action or a Hook Element to hook your custom button in their place.

Gry

Hi,
    I have installed two plugins from Yith, catalog mode and request a quote.

The cart page is hidden, but the cart in the menu is still visible with my GP theme (this is a theme issue, I briefly checked with another theme). Do you have a solution for remoming the cart from the menu?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can uncheck Display cart in menu in Customizer > Layout > Woocommerce.

Gry

Perfect – thank you so much!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.