[Support request] Wishing for a GP beginner's manual

Home Forums Support [Support request] Wishing for a GP beginner's manual

Home Forums Support Wishing for a GP beginner's manual

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maxwell

Reviewers find the GeneratePress documentation is very good in comparison with other themes, and I’m sure it’s adequate for experienced WordPress users, but there seems to be a bit of a void for beginners.

Searching the docs for “start”, “begin”, “beginner”, “make”, or “how to” all failed to turn up a guide to making a website, as did examining the articles in “Browse all articles”.

There are 21 importable GeneratePress Sites to give a head start when building new websites, but none of those designs were close to what I wanted.

Searching the Support Forum for [beginner -wpbeginner] gave 122 topics among the 1,262 topics going back to 2014. Those 122 included lots of interesting reading, but unsurprisingly no “How to make a website with GeneratePress”, just a note that there is no beginner’s manual.

There are, of course, many tutorials purporting to teach beginners how to use WordPress, and quite a few are okay for bits and pieces such as how to install software.

It would be good if there were a flowchart (with brief explanations of what rationale to use to choose the options at each decision point) and checklist for WP beginners to create a website with GeneratePress. I realize many options become unavailable once certain other options are chosen, but if a fixed decision-tree is used this would be easy to annotate. I mean a website without custom HTML, CSS or PHP of course.

BTW, the Support Forum’s Search did not work to find a post again by its ID number, e.g. #179724 however a Google search [site:generatepress.com #179724] does work. It’s too bad the GeneratePress documents don’t each have a reference ID number like the forum posts do.

The GeneratePress support is excellent, thank you.

PS Occasionally I find the documentation pages are a little slow to load. For example it took 52 seconds the first time I loaded https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generatepress-sites/ though afterwards it took 1 to 4 seconds to load.

GP Premium 1.7.2
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

do you have an example of the site style you wish to create?
    We can help with that.

Maxwell

Thanks for the generous support offer David.

I’ve searched but haven’t found an example close to the site style I wish to create, even though my needs are very modest and calling for ordinary elements.

Come to think of it, it would be nice if GeneratePress offered a paid service that would be in between the present excellent support, and a full design service.

If a person could submit a layout sketch and receive back a flowchart of how to create such a layout, for a set fee per page, that would be awesome.

So there’s two business ideas some entrepreneurial person might take up in association with GP if GP doesn’t do it: Writing a good beginner’s manual for GeneratePress, and launching a mini consulting service for GeneratePress. There must be a market of some newbies among the thousand new installs per day, and a beginner’s guide would no doubt attract more people to try GeneratePress.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas.
    There have been some mutterings amongst the community about possible on-line course relating to GP and building sites, but nothing concrete as yet.

The best place to start is with the Modules Documentation and play around with the Customizer settings to get a feel for it. Example based assistance is always good, if you find anything you may want to try and achieve we’re more than happy to help you achieve that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.