[Resolved] Will my customizations be eliminated when I update to 2.3.2?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Will my customizations be eliminated when I update to 2.3.2?

Home Forums Support Will my customizations be eliminated when I update to 2.3.2?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Roslyn

I have customized aspects of my site’s appearance, some of which has required additional css. Will this be lost when I updated to 2.3.2?

I see a note recommending creation of a child theme. I’ve begun following the instructions at https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/ in case this is needed, however, I am lost at Step 3, Enqueue stylesheet #. So am I wondering a.) Is this necessary? And if so, b.) how to do what is described here. (As you can tell, I am not a developer.)

Thank you!

Jim

GP has its own child theme. See this guide https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/ (NB: I don’t work for GP).

Roslyn

So you are saying then that I am 1.) already automatically working with a child theme in using GeneratePress?

And that therefore, 2.) when I add code to the “additional css” area in the Customizer, it will remain regardless of any updates to the theme?

And so I can just 3.) go ahead and accept the update without losing any of the changes I’ve made to the appearance of my website?

I just need to make sure I understand, as this is all quite new for me, so thank you for answering my 3 questions here!

Jim

1. No, you are not. The theme you download from WordPress.org is the parent theme. The link provided in the guide above gives you the child theme that you download as a zip file, upload to WordPress themes section and just activate it and follow the other instructions in the guide. Nevertheless, You do not need a child theme if you have not modified core PHP or CSS files that come with the theme.

2. But if all you have done is just add CSS to the Customise>Additional CSS area (and may be used elements and hooks) you can update the theme without any losses, though it helps to have a backup just in case.

3. As said above, if you have not modified any core files of the parent theme (e.g PHP files and CSS files like style.css) you can safely update the theme without losing the appearance of your site.

In future, if you are worried about losing custom CSS, just use the Simple CSS plugin by Tom and the Code Snippets Plugin for custom functions instead of functions.php.

See Also. 1. How to add CSS. 2. How to add PHP.

Roslyn

Okay, thanks so much for clarifying! Sounds like I should be okay with updates, as I’ve just added CSS to the Customise>Additional CSS area. I’ve also copied everything in the Additional CSS area into a .txt file, so if for some reason I need to redo it, I could just copy and paste it back in, yes? (I’m an old hand at the copy-and-paste function! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Jim

You are welcome. I also keep a backup of my CSS files in my dropbox in text format just in case. But I also do keep daily backups of my WordPress database using updraft free version. If you ever find your CSS is getting above 500 lines, just use a child theme!

Roslyn

Great! Thanks so much for the advice!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Perfect responses, afrocave. Thank you so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim

@Roslyn you are welcome! @Tom my pleasure! Just saw it was an ‘easy’ question and decided to help being a Sunday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.