[Resolved] Where can the site library files be located?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Where can the site library files be located?

Home Forums Support Where can the site library files be located?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Once a site library theme has been selected and imported, where can the associated files be located?

Additionally, if changes are made to the files, what impact does it have on future updates?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The imported files are downloaded to your wp-content/uploads folder during the import.

You can manually delete/change them once you’re done if you’d like, as they are no longer used once the importer is complete.

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Thanks Tom. Where are the files stored once it has been imported successfully?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any files that were downloaded during the import process can be found in your wp-content/uploads folder.

Anonymous

Thanks Tom. There are no files in the path wp-content/uploads other than the media files associated with the theme. For example, the site library files (other than images) are not present.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There should be one called content.xml, and maybe one called widgets.wie if widgets were imported.

They will be in the year/month-specific folder if you have your media set up that way.

Anonymous

Thanks Tom.

If the schema in either file is changed, does it apply the update to a live site?

If no, which files should be changed so that they apply to a live site?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No, those files are read once during import and never used again.

To make changes to the live site, you need to use WordPress as you usually would. Edit the content using the content editor, and use the Customizer for theme options.

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Thanks Tom. I should have been clearer. The objective is to change the appearance of the site library that was imported as opposed to the content.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Site library imports are no different to if you built a site and migrated it to a new domain. Aside of the content that is imported, the styling is predominantly controlled by the Customizer and in a lot of cases ( particularly my Sites ) have Additional CSS.

Some plugins particulary page builders will also control the styling of their content.

Anonymous

Thanks David. In that case, where can I find the associated PHP for the site library files?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There is no PHP for the Site Library sites.

A couple of things happen when you import a site:

1. Customizer options are imported – these options can now be changed in the Customizer.
    2. Content, widgets, and menus are imported – these can now be changed using WordPress itself like you would without the Site Library.

Once you import a site, you can deactivate the Site Library completely – it’s no longer needed/used by your site.

Anonymous

Thanks Tom. If there is no associated PHP for an imported Site Library, which files would I need to update to introduce and/or change the presentation of the site? For example, if I wish to include custom PHP code to execute where would I include this? Typically, I would have assumed the theme’s functions.php file.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You would use the Customizer to make updates and changes to the style of the Site.
    Some plugins may of course have their own styling controls which will be within their settings.

If you want to introduce your own PHP functions or templates then you would add this to your Child Theme:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.