[Support request] What is the current best practice to migrate content from an old GP site?

Home Forums Support [Support request] What is the current best practice to migrate content from an old GP site?

Home Forums Support What is the current best practice to migrate content from an old GP site?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Charles

I am webmaster for a community based site that was built with GP Premium’s basic template, using a custom-coded child theme. The content users did not adhere to assigning categories or tags so the Dashboard is made up of Custom Post Types (created in a custom functions file) and Pages – with a small amount of content in custom text widgets as well.

The community association is in the process of rebranding and building a new GP Premium site that will not be custom coded, and will not use Custom Post Types. Can you suggest the easiest way to migrate the content from the old site into an archive of post(s) or page(s) on the new site without mirroring the structure of the old site? All of the old content will be put in an archive on the new site.

old site: SERRA
    new site: SEDRAToronto

Thanks
    Charles

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Charles,

The categories/tags are WP core features so the migration method wouldn’t be theme-specific.

It’s always good to start a staging site to make changes like this. Then I’d assume you need to assign categories/tags manually for each post.

Hope this helps 🙂

Charles

Yes I get that part. What I was looking for was a method for doing it. Is there a migration plugin you recommend? Is it possible to migrate each Custom Post Type separately so everything doesn’t end up dumped into one long Page or 100s of Posts.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Duplicator is what we usually recommend:
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Not sure if it offers the specific option you are looking for though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.