[Resolved] What is Block Type > Site Header, and how do we use it?

Home Forums Support What is Block Type > Site Header, and how do we use it?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by David.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Philip

I’m learning how to use the new Block Element.

What I really want to know is…
    “What is Block Type > Site Header, and how do we use it?”

Is the Block Type > Site Header, the logo and navbar area (when navbar is floated right). That is, like the old merge header?

Or should we use the Block Type > Site Header as a page hero section that goes above or below the navbar?

If the the Block Type > Site Header, is the logo and navbar area. Can we put a navbar in a GenerateBlocks layout that we place in Site Header position?

If I hook a GenerateBlocks layout on generate_after_header I can merge the header. If I select Site Header instead of a hook, I can’t merge the header.

What I really want to know is…
    “What is Block Type > Site Header, and how do we use it?”

Thanks
    – Philip.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Block Type > Site Header will replace the entire GP Site Header – the area where your Logo and Site Identity is displayed by default.

WordPress are working on a Navigation Block.
    Until there is a stable release the Navigation has to be set to below header or above header in the Customizer. If it is set to Float right or left ( which is inside the site header ) it will also be removed.

If you want to use the Block Header to create a Hero that is merged with the Site Header / Navigation then you would:

1. Create a Block Element with your hero content and set it to the after_header hook
    2. Create a Header Element – do not add any hero content, simply skip to the Site Header tab and set it to Merge with Content.
    3. Make sure both elements have the same display rules.

Philip

Thanks David

I was confused because I couldn’t add a navbar inside the Block Type > Site Header.

I’ll take another look at Block Type > Site Header when version 3 of GeneratePress theme, and the WordPress navigation block are available.

As you say, I can merge the header if I use the after_header hook.

The Block Element really is a plus point, I love it.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It is rather good especially with GenerateBlocks. And we have some real exciting features planned.

Glad to be of help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.