[Resolved] Weird thing with Child Theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Weird thing with Child Theme

Home Forums Support Weird thing with Child Theme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gary

Hi Guys

I had a weird WordFence alert today telling me my child theme needed an update from version 1.0 to version 1.0.5. I logged in to WordPress and I could see the update.

I created this child theme and I know that there is no update to it, so to get round the issue I simply renamed the child theme to version 1.0.5 and the update went away. But my question is do you have any idea why this would happen?

I have done a WordFence scan and nothing malicious was found but I am guessing that this update must be malicious in some way, i.e. making me somehow install something malicious. I know this is just a guess so if you could shed any light on it I would appreciate it.

For the record this child theme only contains CSS rules and two very simply functions.

Cheers

Gary

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not sure, unfortunately.

You can try using our default child theme here:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

It’s version 0.1 and it won’t ever need to change as child theme doesn’t need to be updated.

Gary

Hi Leo

I have got to the bottom of this using a local version of the site.

There is a theme in the WordPress repository called something very similar, it is called Foresight. Now my theme is called something a little different but the first word is Foresight. For some reason WordPress thinks they are the same theme.

When I click to get more information about the update I see a completely different theme, so it looks like I did the right thing just changing my version number, weird!

Anyway I have just had a look at your child theme and it includes some things in the functions.php file that I have never added to any GeneratePress I have created and they have always worked, namely:

function generatepress_child_enqueue_scripts() {
    if ( is_rtl() ) {
    wp_enqueue_style( ‘generatepress-rtl’, trailingslashit( get_template_directory_uri() ) . ‘rtl.css’ );
    }
    }
    add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘generatepress_child_enqueue_scripts’, 100 );

Can I ask does it matter that I have not added these functions? It has never been an issue in the past.

Cheers

Gary

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yup you don’t need that snippet if your site isn’t a RTL.

Gary

Thanks Leo that’s great!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.