[Resolved] weird issue with site feed since switching to GP.

Home Forums Support weird issue with site feed since switching to GP.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stevie

Hi guys
    Not sure if this is a GP related issue or not, but I recently switched my site to GP.
    My rss feed and sitemap are valid ( I’ve checked) but I noted my mailing service at Mailerlite stopped sending out posts recently. Their reader doesn’t find the feed. I’ve written to them on that score.
    But checking my site feed in a browser – get the following headline.
    https://glamourdaze.com/feed
    “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it”
    So something is screwy.
    Any advice appreciated.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

XML is unlike HTML so unless the browser supports RSS feed preview or has an extension they will all flag there are no style information related with it.

I ran a validator test on the feed here:

https://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fglamourdaze.com%2Ffeed

And it passed. Also tested the feed here:

https://rssatom.com

And it previews correctly.

I would speak with Mailerlite as to why its not picking up the feed – they should be able to tell you the issue.

Stevie

thanks so much David, You’re a star.
    Didnt know about the RSS preview option.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Stevie

Hi David.
    Mailerlite’s reply:
    “Our developers have checked the behaviour of the feed from our servers’ perspective and when the servers try to connect to the feed, it asks to pass reCaptcha. As you may now reCaptcha was created to check if it as a human trying to connect to something, not servers. So it’s impossible for our servers to connect to your feed. Can you please check this on your end and remove the reCaptcha from the feed?”

I told them I don’t have a recaptcha plugin installed and haven’t made any updates other than adding GP.
    I did try validating your own url feed with Mailerlite, and it validates. Mine does not. So there’s something inside my site – maybe code, which is blocking their server.
    If it isn’t GP, could it be a caching issue with my CDN or something? Clutching at straws now ha ha.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

GP doesn’t add recaptcha and i searched your sites source code and there is no sign of the recaptcha code. Which is odd. Are they sure its a reCaptcha issue and not some other firewall/modsec rule on the server thats blocking it ? Might be worth asking your Host.

Stevie

I may do that David, thanks so much for your help. Just for the record, I have GP now running
    on three sites, and the feed isn’t being read by Mailerlite on any.
    I’m going through plugins at moment, deactivating and checking. I’ll also have to disable theme( just to rule out GP).
    I do not use child themes, but modified the default GP. If I deactivate GP temporarily, do I lose these modifications?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You will not lose the changes when temporarily switching themes.
    However you will lose all those changes when the theme is updated. It is advised never to edit the parent theme for that reason.

Stevie

hmm. Is that really necessary?
    I’m no expert on this. As I understood however, updates to GP don’t muck up any customiser changes.
    I do also have some ‘additional css changes’ also added, which I have saved separately as a text file. However the theme has been updated a few times and they never disappeared. I also have those saved so I could just add them back in could I not?
    The other additions I made were to add some hooks. Other than that, nothing I can think of.
    When was the last update to the GP parent theme? I installed GP a year ago on a test site and it as yet hasn’t been screwed by updates.
    Is there an easy way of creating a child theme for these so they are secured?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Did you make any changes to the Themes files ?
    If you did not – then everything is fine.

Stevie

just customiser changes. Also added a few hooks and some additional css ( which is saved in a text file).
    I also use code snippets for one purpose so far – to update the post date when I make changes to old posts.
    I created all these a year back on a test site and haven’t to my knowledge had any issues.
    I wanted to keep it as close to what GP itself has in default theme.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yep thats all fine.
    You can swap themes and update without losing anything.

Stevie

thanks for that David. Hopefully i’ll get to the bottom of this feed issue soon. On to my host now.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.