[Resolved] Weird Header Issue (appears twice?)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Weird Header Issue (appears twice?)

Home Forums Support Weird Header Issue (appears twice?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dave

Hi Tom,
    have no idea how this happened, but can you advise on how I should fix this: http://www.epubscene.com ?

Thanks
    Dave

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You have something crazy going on.

There’s tons of console errors if you right click your site and click “Inspect”.

It might be due to some of your Comet Cache settings – can you try clearing your cache and deactivating that plugin just to check?

Dave

Hi Tom,
    I did that and deleted the plugin and added the W3 Cache plugin and purged and now the site has gone totally bizarre.. any ideas?

Thanks
    Dave

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It looks a lot better now, just no logo?

Dave

UPDATE: Hey Tome,
    ok, since last night I found that the site worked ok when I turned off w3 cache, so I replaced it with Super Cache and turned that on – held my breath and checked the site – and it’s all good!

Thing is, every widget disappeared into the list of unused widgets and I had to go through them all one by one and sort them, which was painful. Could have been worse though.

I don’t know why Super cache worked where the others screwed it all up – but if it works, it works.

Dave

Aaargh!

Okay, here’s another update.

I saw that the logo was missing – so was every widget. So I added them all again.

Then, I went and took a look at the site on Firefox and Safari (on my iPad) and the multi-header issue was there again! It looks fine on Chrome, but not the others.

So, I tried removing the logo and disabling the cache plugin, and neither has made any difference. It still looks fine on Chrome, but the problem is on the other browsers.

I’ve left the caching plugin disabled if that helps troubleshoot?

If not, would this be a viable route to a fix: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/215182/reinstall-wordpress-without-losing-data

“I would suggest using Tools -> Export to save your posts and pages. Then you could reinstall your WordPress, upload your theme and Import your content back.

This can fix corrupted WordPress core or theme files but you would have to setup your theme options and settings again.”

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wouldn’t re-install WordPress, caching plugins are a pain but they shouldn’t have caused an irreversible damage.

Do you know any major performance changes when you activate a caching plugin? Have you tried the steps outlined here instead?: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Dave

Yep – I just ran through that checklist yesterday. I *may* have done the damage when I ran WP-Optimize?

At the moment I have no caching plugin active and it’s still happening. I notice that on Chrome the blog page looks ok but as soon as I open a post it goes haywire again.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If I view your page source, everything is stripped down and minified. Looks like a caching plugin might still be activated?

If not, activate it again and make sure to purge/clear the cache, then deactivate it again.

Dave

OK – I just found that it’s Autoptimize plugin that’s causing the problem – the header is fine now even with WP Super Cache enabled. So is there is a setting in Autoptimize that I should change or something?

My site seems kinda slow unfortunately – I started adding more graphics but don’t want to have to go back to more textual stuff.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Did you match the recommended settings in the screenshots?

There might be some sort of incompatibility between Autoptimize and WP Super Cache.

If a site is slow even with a caching plugin installed, it’s generally caused by shared hosting.

Paul

I’ve just encountered what sounds like a very similar problem with Autoptimize (repeated header) – in my case it was the minify CSS option that caused the issue. I tried disabling all other plugins to make sure there isn’t a clash, but no luck.

Strange thing is, I’m using Autoptimize on another GeneratePress site without any issues at all.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Same GP/GP Premium versions on both sites?

All your Autoptimize settings match as well?

Paul

I don’t know if this will help the original poster, but I figured out what was causing the issue for me – I was missing a single } in my child theme’s CSS!

For some reason it only broke things once the CSS was minified.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, that would definitely do it. Any CSS below a syntax error isn’t read, so it’s likely the plugin moved your broken CSS above the mobile header CSS causing it not to be read.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.