[Support request] Want to use block-based theme builder, templates, template parts, & layouts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Want to use block-based theme builder, templates, template parts, & layouts

Home Forums Support Want to use block-based theme builder, templates, template parts, & layouts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Website Psychiatrist

Howdy!
    I’m working on a new site build out and after the home page, all of the pages are basically laid out the same. I see this as a perfect opportunity use the new block-based theme builder functionality, instead of creating each page individually.

The problem is, I can’t quite wrap my head around how all of this stuff is supposed to play nicely together. I’ve gotten fairly adept at elements for headers, footers, and sidebars. I see the new “template” and “template parts” in the menu. I’m aware of layouts and the new dynamic data that GP has added and the new query functionality that Gutenberg has added.

All that said, I’m not even sure where to start. I’ve perused the documentation and support forum, but I’m not finding “Want to use block-based theme builder? Start HERE!” in the documentation. Maybe my search queries are too generic. I know some of this stuff is new. I’m guessing some things are getting superseded. And I assume definitely new ways of implementing things.

So maybe there is no official documentation yet? Or maybe I’m just stupid and missing the big red “X in the documentation.

Can you help a poor unfortunately soul find his way and open the door to the really cool new block-based theme builder functionality?

Thanks!
    Bill

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’ve listed out all the relevant info in this reply here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/theme-builder/#post-1785137

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Website Psychiatrist

Hi Leo,
    Thanks for the information. I’ve watched and read it all and I definitely feel like I have a better handle on the new things that can be done with elements.

Did I miss seeing information on template and template parts?

How do template and template parts fit on the grand scheme of things?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

When you say template, do you mean the template from block element?

If so, I would say those templates offer an easy start, after choosing the template, you can modify the template style, add your own content, delete the parts that you don’t need.

If I miss anything, could you explain a bit more?

Let me know 🙂

Website Psychiatrist

Hi Ying,
    I see “template” and “template parts” in the left menu bar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5tqcgt5hn4gg4c/screenshot-pro.nearorbit.com-2021.05.27-19_15_59.png?dl=0

I assume that’s part of GeneratePress as it showed up when I upgraded to the latest version of GP Premium. (just to make sure I’m not completely crazy, I checked a site that’s not running GeneratePress and I don’t see these menu entries).

I’m assuming that this “template” and “template parts” is part of the block-based theme builder, or is it just a bizarre coincidence?

If it is part of GeneratePress, how do I use it?

If it’s not part of GeneratePress, <jedihandwave>Forget I asked it.</jedihandwave>

Thanks,
    Bill

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for the screenshot, those are not part of GP.
    Not sure which plugin they belong to.

Frank

Hi Bill,

Templates and Template Parts belong to the Gutenberg plug-in.

Website Psychiatrist

Ah. That would make sense. I’ve only installed the Gutenberg plugin on GeneratePress sites because I want to use the Navigation Menu block (which is not in the core yet) as my navigation in my header element. So every non-GeneratePress site I maintain is, by default, a non-Gutenberg plugin site also. That’s why everything was lining up the way I was seeing things.

Thanks for the insight!

For anybody else wanting to use GeneratePress’ block-based theme builder, I’ve been building out another site and have discovered other components that have been helpful: GenerateBlocks Pro’s Local Templates and Global Styles have really been helpful in my quest to build a completely block based website. If you aren’t running GBP (or didn’t realize it existed, like me) you owe it to yourself to get the other half of the puzzle and run GenerateBlocks Pro with your GeneratePress theme. You’ll thank me later.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

For anybody else wanting to use GeneratePress’ block-based theme builder, I’ve been building out another site and have discovered other components that have been helpful: GenerateBlocks Pro’s Local Templates and Global Styles have really been helpful in my quest to build a completely block based website. If you aren’t running GBP (or didn’t realize it existed, like me) you owe it to yourself to get the other half of the puzzle and run GenerateBlocks Pro with your GeneratePress theme. You’ll thank me later.

Yeah, people are missing out on not using GenerateBlocks and GB Pro. It works nicely with the theme and it’s lightweight.

And knowing of GP Premium’s 2.0 update, things get even better as we can use GenerateBlocks through Block Element – Content template to edit part of the theme’s template. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.