[Support request] W3.org validation errors

Home Forums Support [Support request] W3.org validation errors

Home Forums Support W3.org validation errors

• This topic has 25 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Harris

Hello

We are getting some errors in w3.org validation that I suspect might be theme (menu) related.
    Can you please have a look as the site is subsidized by a EU program and there is a term saying that it must produce 0 errors in the w3 validator?

http://validator.w3.org/

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This is an issue in the theme currently: An element with the attribute tabindex must not appear as a descendant of the a element.

It will be fixed in the next version πŸ™‚

Harris

So I guess the rest might be WP or elementor issues?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yes, the majority of those are WP and Elementor.

There’s also some duplicate IDs you’ve added within your content etc..

Harris

Thanks Tom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem πŸ™‚

Harris

Hello Tom,

I cleared all other errors. Is there any way to bypass (even temporarily) the “An element with the attribute tabindex must not appear as a descendant of the a element.” error so I can give the site for accessibility check (check is passed with 0 errors on W3 validator).

Will installing the latest beta version help?

Thanks
    Harris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not currently, we’re hoping to get those fixed ASAP.

Harris

Some questions on the issue in order to check the available options as there is a strickt time limit regarding the accessibility check on that:

Will it be on the next GP or on the next GPP update? Any estimation when it will be out?

Will this be bypassed if I disable navigation and add one from Elementor?

Can you please confirm the theme file involved so I can give a try to make a temp fix?
    Is it generatepress\inc\structure\navigation.php

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Aiming for the next GP update. This shouldn’t affect accessibility at all, it’s just an HTML validation warning. It will have no negative effects on your website.

You can try building one with Elementor, but there’s no promises there that their navigation is keyboard accessible.

Yes, the code is in that file.

Harris

Hello Tom,

I know that it has no negative affects on the site and that it won’t affect accessibility, but it gives an error (not just a warning) in W3.org validator, and the terms clearly say “0 errors at W3 validator”.
    I know its weird, I know it doesn’t make much sence, but thats how it is.

It’s not me making the rules πŸ™‚

If they see an error they will just reject it, without looking any further, no matter what.

Any estimation on when the next GP update is comming so I can see if its worth rebuilding the menus or messing up with the theme files?

by the way… is that “error” related with a certain feature of the navigation that I can disable?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The “error” is being caused by some accessibility code we added in 2.0 to make the navigation tab-friendly.

There’s no set date for the update yet – it should be before the end of the month.

Harris

Does that mean that if I “downgrade” to a verion <2.0 the “error” will clear?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yes, however that’s not recommended at all, as some database options were migrated in 2.0.

Harris

Can I just replace the navigation.php file of the latest version with the older one?

Reminding that I am just looking for a temp solution to bypass the test.

I will replace things as needed after that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.