[Resolved] Visual Editor not showing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Visual Editor not showing

Home Forums Support Visual Editor not showing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gayle

Hi Tom,

The visual editor is not working on the site – disabled all plugins and switched theme to 2015 and still not working. Any ideas? All updates are done. Here’s the site: http://chronicdiseasealliancemanitoba.org/

Thanks,
    Gayle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So this is happening with no plugins and the default theme?

What do you mean by not working? No area to input text at all?

Try re-installing WordPress by going to “Dashboard > Updates” and click the “Re-install Now” button.

Gayle

Hi Tom,

I have re-installed WordPress and set up a new user with admin rights. If I log in as the original user, I do not have access at all to the Visual editor tab, only the text editor.

If I log in as the new user and go to edit a page, the visual editor is selected but I can only see red dotted lines (How can I attach or send you a screen screen shot?) and do not have access to the text editor.

Now, my header is all screwed up, e.g. logo is missing, height has been reduced. I have ran several malware scans by Sucuri and all is showing clean. I really don’t know what is going on – never had anything like this happen before.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When you go to “Users > Your Profile”, is the option to show the visual editor checked?

When you see the dotted red lines, what happens if you select them? Can you see the text?

If so, this means the TinyMCE script packaged with WP is somehow corrupted – re-installing WP fixes it 9 times out of 10.

Not sure about your logo? Can you send me a link to your site?

Gayle

Hi Tom,

Here is the link: http://chronicdiseasealliancemanitoba.org/

I am signed in with my original admin user and it only displays the text editor and won’t let me select the visual tab.

I did a restore from a backup I did after I made the last round of revisions and that didn’t help; have reinstalled WordPress. I seem to be loosing all editing features – the plugin editors are behaving the same way.

Gayle

Also to answer your other questions:

Is the option to show the visual editor checked? No – it is not checked (as this would disable it?) I have also tried checking and unchecking it to see if it made any difference and it doesn’t.

When you see the dotted red lines, what happens if you select them? Can you see the text?
    If I select the white screen in the visual editor, then I can see all the code in white letters with the “selection” background in a grey colour.

I had to re-install the logo, and now I have 2 tag lines showing up in the header – the one on the right in black letters is supposed to be there (used the header widget for that), however, the one on the left in red letters – I have now idea how it got there! nor how to get rid of it.

I am also going to post on WordPress.org.

Gayle

Hi Tom,

Found this on WordPress.org forum:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/visual-editor-not-working-in-wp-41?replies=35

This may be the issue – checking it out now.

Gayle

Hi Tom,
    Here’s the latest – I found some info in Codex, followed instructions to enable SCRIPT_DEBUG and followed their instructions. It fixed the problem. But, if this happens, then they want to hear about it so here is my post on the support forum:

Hi – When I switch to edit mode on a page or post, the text editor is showing the content and code, but it won’t let me switch to the visual editor. I have followed all the usual suggestions about deactivating all plugins and switching to the 2015 theme; also re-installed WordPress – none of the above made any difference.

Then found the instructions in Codex: “Using Your Brower to Diangose JavaScript Errors” Step #2: Enable SCRIPT_DEBUG – so I turned on script debugging and this fixed the issue. So the instructions are to turn off script debugging and report this issue on the forum – so here it is. Please help? What’s next?

Thanks

I will let you know what they come back with. Thanks for your help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hopefully someone has an idea.

About the two logos – do you have a child theme activated? If so, have you added anything to the functions.php file?

Gayle

Hi Tom – I tried a fix in someone elses WordPress.org support forum thread and it worked. This is what they said to do:

-Try adding this to the your active theme’s wp-config.php file above the /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line so it looks like this: define(‘CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS’, false);

Tom, can you please explain what and why this was necessary and if it could lead to any security risk?

Also, I found the problem with my header – I had added a hook in to try to adjust something in the header – I disabled it and it solved the problem.
    Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what it does – concatenate means to “link together, join together”, so it probably brings all of your scripts into one area.

That being said, you most likely have to use it due to some of your server settings.

Glad it’s working now – thanks for posting the solution! 🙂

Derek

Just to bring this back online. Zoho Campaigns seems to bug your Sections add-on. It does the same thing as described above with the visual editor. When the plugin from Zoho is activated no visual editor. Maybe you have a solution.

Thanks Tom

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ll take a look, thanks for reporting.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Just testing this. Is this the plugin?: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/zoho-campaigns/

I am seeing some errors on the plugin side (it has pretty terrible reviews), but Sections does still seem to function properly with the errors that are happening.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.