[Resolved] viewing style.css version number in dev tools

Home Forums Support [Resolved] viewing style.css version number in dev tools

Home Forums Support viewing style.css version number in dev tools

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Caroline

Hi – I’m having trouble viewing the version number for style.css in dev tools for both my child theme, and for the parent theme. When I use the ‘sources’ tab in dev tools to view the file name for both these files it simply displays ‘style.css’.

I can see the wp_enqueue_style() code in functions.php which includes a parameter for the timestamp to generate a version number, so I really can’t figure out why it’s not showing up! Also, when I look at the ‘sources’ tab in dev tools for this website (generatepress.com) it shows the file name and version number (ie style.css?ver=1497116279); I’m assuming the functions.php code is the same, so I’m confused as to why it’s not showing up for my site.

Can anyone help?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Are you using a caching plugin? Can you provide a link to your site? Thanks!

Caroline

Hi Leo – no, I’m not using a caching plugin. Would it be possible to send you a link to the site privately? It’s a staging site and I’m not quite ready to release it to the world yet!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you using a plugin or code snippet that hides query strings? For example, see the “Remove Query Strings” section on this page: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Caroline

Yes indeed! I am using this:

function remove_css_js_ver( $src ) {
    if( strpos( $src, ‘?ver=’ ) )
    $src = remove_query_arg( ‘ver’, $src );
    return $src;
    }
    add_filter( ‘style_loader_src’, ‘remove_css_js_ver’, 10, 2 );
    add_filter( ‘script_loader_src’, ‘remove_css_js_ver’, 10, 2 );

Trying to get my Google speed insights score up! Am I going to need to remove it?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yes, if you want query strings. Personally I find them really helpful – stops caching issues ๐Ÿ™‚

Caroline

OK, thank you! I’ve used that particular wp_enqueue_style() parameter to solve caching problems in the past which was why I wanted to address the issue in case I had problems again – I just didn’t know the output was called a query string so didn’t make the connection with the code snippet.

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re very welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.