[Resolved] Vertical Textbox

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Vertical Textbox

Home Forums Support Vertical Textbox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Matthias

Hi there,

i am trying to create a hero/banner. I wonder if its possible to have text vertical aligned – like the black box on the side in my attached picture?
    I later want to place the whole banner a)on the corresponding page and b) into a slider on the startpage.
    Couldnt find any settings for that for now.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

vertically aligning text would require some CSS. Do you have that layout created with the text elements in place ?

Matthias

Theres a basic draft only. Links are attached.

I want to create banners like that for every subsite of the main menu – and afterwards additionaly include them in a slider on the startpage (currently i plan to use getwid slider block for that) – so you can click the banner in the slider and get to the subsite by doing so.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

and afterwards additionaly include them in a slider on the startpage (currently i plan to use getwid slider block for that)

This I am not sure on. I can advise how to do it with a GenerateBlocks Container and Buttons block, but that may not work inside the slider.

1. Select the parent Container Block and in Advanced > Additional CSS Class(es) add: has-vertical-button
    2. Select the Buttons Block not the Button, and give that a class of: is-vertical-button
    3. Add this CSS:

.has-vertical-button {
        position: relative;
    }
    .is-vertical-button {
        position: absolute;
        left: 0;
        top: 150%;
        transform: rotate(270deg);
        transform-origin: 0 0;
    }
    Matthias

Thanks a lot David. Worked like a charm. Had to play around with the %-in the css to position the button.

But – Last question for the button would be:
    how to have a button with 2 different textcolors?
    I solved this by simply adding another button, deleting the space in between them – so they look like one.

Is there a smarter/smoother solution? Or how would you approach different textcolors on the button-text?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Use a Headline Block with a link instead of a Button.
    The Headline you can Highlight part of the text and set a different color.

Matthias

using the code above: is there a way to have the headline block centered in relation to the chosen parent container.
    The parent container has a background image – where i would like the vertical headline to be centered to.
    I can “wing” that by playing around with the % – but i wonder if there is a way to do this by code.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sometimes its best to go back to the drawing board, and i think this is one of those times ๐Ÿ™‚ The Grid i don’t think is required as it adds % variables that will cause problems.

Instead try this HTML:

<!-- wp:generateblocks/container {"uniqueId":"27f995d0","containerWidth":600,"paddingTop":"100","paddingRight":"40","paddingBottom":"100","paddingLeft":"40","bgImage":{"id":"","image":{"url":"https://picsum.photos/id/237/200/300"}},"bgOptions":{"selector":"pseudo-element","opacity":0.3,"overlay":false,"position":"center center","size":"cover","repeat":"no-repeat","attachment":""},"innerZindex":1,"isDynamic":true,"blockVersion":2,"className":"has-vertical-button"} -->
    <!-- wp:generateblocks/container {"uniqueId":"160dc591","backgroundColor":"var(\u002d\u002daccent)","isDynamic":true,"blockVersion":2} -->
    <!-- wp:generateblocks/headline {"uniqueId":"c2fbcf95","element":"p","paddingTop":"20","paddingRight":"20","paddingBottom":"20","paddingLeft":"20","paddingSyncUnits":true} -->
    <p class="gb-headline gb-headline-c2fbcf95 gb-headline-text">some contained text</p>
    <!-- /wp:generateblocks/headline -->
    <!-- /wp:generateblocks/container -->

<!-- wp:generateblocks/headline {"uniqueId":"0b9df072","element":"div","className":"is-vertical-button"} -->
    <div class="gb-headline gb-headline-0b9df072 gb-headline-text is-vertical-button">vertical text</div>
    <!-- /wp:generateblocks/headline -->
    <!-- /wp:generateblocks/container -->

and this CSS:

.has-vertical-button {
        position: relative;
    }
    .has-vertical-button .gb-inside-container {
    	position: initial;
    }
    .is-vertical-button {
        bottom: 50%;
        transform: rotate(270deg) translateX(-50%);
        transform-origin: 0 50%;
    }

The basics are:

1. A Full Width container that has its inner width set to whatever value you want your inner text to be displayed.
    1.1 This container has the has-vertical-button class

2. Inside the #1 Container is:
    a. Another container block for your text
    b. A headline block for your vertical text that has the is-vertical-button class

Matthias

Thx.
    I played with that a little (your code with some added texts can be seen right under the block i linked – so my old one on top, yours 2nd) .

I am not sure how you did it – but i can’t make the text visible unless the background image has an opacity below 1 and also the text background color can not be seen.
    On my original block you can see how i plan the colors to be: background image with no opacity – and the text with a white box surrounding it.
    I also added a minimal height of 50vh – as i want the container to span half a screen (as the side visitor should see that there is something under that hero.

I tried some settings – but couldnt figure out what you did there to make the text working only when opacity is below 1.

Hope you know what i mean

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Select the #2 inner container and increase its Z-index value.

Matthias

thx that worked – almost there.

You created the surrounding container with a inner width of 600 (which i uped to 800 to avaid a linebreak).
    Now i wonder a few things:
    -> looking at the page -> old container on top, new one below
    1. what would be best practice to move the text-container to the left? I can set a outer margin of -200. But then the text-container moves out of the screen when shrinked.
    2. Is there a way to make the vertical text and the white-container text never overlap when i shrink the screen?
    3. The vertical text is “under” the left side of the screen. I can make it come out when i add “left: 50px;” to the css.
    Also it is not at in the middle – at 50% of the outer container – this can again be “winged” if i enter a value like “bottom: 40%;”. Is there a better way to have it in the middle – which puts us full circle back to my question some hours ago (but with a “lighter” container solution).

I solved it i guess – but im not sure if minus pixels and playing with a percentage is the smartest solution.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

1. Set the #1 parent containers width to match the site content contatiner eg. 1200px.
    Replace the very inner container that has your white background with a single column Grid Block. Set that single columns flex values to:
    Flex Grow: 0, Flex Shrink: 1, Flex-basis: 800px

2. Add left and right padding to the #1 parent container.

3. In this CSS:

.is-vertical-button {
        bottom: 50%;
        transform: rotate(270deg) translateX(-50%);
        transform-origin: 0 50%;
    }

Adjust the left property – make it 30px or so.

Matthias

worked. thx a lot. Would never have looked at using a 1 Column Grid.

To get on your nerves some more. My generateblocks knowledge lacks i guess.
    I’m having troubling positioning the white box to the left+right – played around a lot – but couldnt position it where i want without unwanted effects (like the white box shrinking instead of the “free” space between the vertical + whitebox text instead of the space in between. I would like it as it currently is – but the white text box positioned to almost fully right or fully left

The first banner i want to use is fine – now im having trouble with the 2 others – they are stacked on the sandbox-page.
    1. is fine
    2. i would like the whitebox to be on the right – with only a little space on the right side.
    3. i would like th have the whitebox to be more on the left – so the person in the background picture is not covered.

dunno which setting i am missing.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – the design you’re trying to achieve is more complicated then you would expect hence we have to think a little differently ๐Ÿ™‚

Try this – duplicate banner #1.
    Select the Grid block you have and set its Horizontal Alignment to Right:

https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/grid-overview/#horizontal-alignment

Does that achieve what you want for Banner #2 ?

Matthias

thx a lot!!! That worked.
    With that setting full left + right is possible – so everything in between is just tinkering.

You’re awesome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.