[Support request] Using custom sites in the site library

Home Forums Support [Support request] Using custom sites in the site library

Home Forums Support Using custom sites in the site library

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    neverything

Howdy GeneratePressers

I’ve been having a lot of fun with GeneratePress and I’m very pleased with the thorough solution you provide. The code and the docs are very useful, thanks a lot!

I’m building SME sites with it and was wondering if there is a way to have our own site library or wether there is a way to streamline import for new sites? I’d like to have a site library with our presets for Woocommerce, publishing sites, SME business sites.

If it’s possible, I can build and release an add-on for other people to have their custom site libraries if that’s something you’d like to see? Let me know what the best approach to this is?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you’re enjoying it!

It’s totally possible to build your own Sites and distribute them: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/exporting-generatepress-site/

Let me know if you need more info πŸ™‚

neverything

Thanks Tom, saw the link already and tested it for a site, it worked fine but, is there an easy way to build a custom sites repository that only we can see? Like an additional GP dashboard item maybe packaged in a plugin?

I’m asking because it would be lovely to use the same import features you built instead of manually importing sites that aren’t listed with your sites library.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can create a package of Sites inside a custom plugin, then distribute that plugin or keep it for yourself.

Once the plugin with the Sites is activated, only installations with your plugin activated would see the packaged Sites.

Let me know if that makes sense or not πŸ™‚

Michael

Hello! I too am interested in this sort of functionality, but am afraid I’m not completely following the instructions in your last step here. I see in the documentation for “Exporting a GeneratePress Site” how to create individual site packages, but how would you go about creating a “package of Sites” exactly? Does the package need to be registered somewhere specifically in the plugin with a function?

Any further guidance would be quite helpful here! Apologies if this info is already available somewhere and I’m just missing it.

Also, fantastic work all around here. The deeper I get into working with GP, the more I am growing to love it πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

As of right now, we’ve taken a step back when it comes to packaging up third-party sites, unfortunately. One issue we’ve had is overall quality control.

If we were to approve the kind of sites being provided, it would be a simple case of creating a plugin with a single function inside of it. That function would filter the list of sites, and add your new sites using simple arrays.

A sample plugin could be provided if the sites were approved πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.