[Resolved] Using Custom HTML Page for Homepage

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Using Custom HTML Page for Homepage

Home Forums Support Using Custom HTML Page for Homepage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tommy

Hi, I have a custom html page that I had created for a new site that I want to use as the homepage within WordPress and GP. I had a dev convert the psd to WP, but so….much…bloat. And I love how lean GP is, and want to keep it that way πŸ™‚

I read through this post here, which looks like I can do what needs to be done, but just wanna confirm bc I’m looking for the most efficient way to do this.

Can it be done within the GP elements features somehow?

Or would I:
    – Create a child theme
    – Create a ‘custom-hp.php’ page template
    – Create a normal WordPress page within the dashboard as usual (so I can set it as the homepage), and then just
    – Choose the ‘custom-hp.php’ template to pull in the page?

Thank you so so much!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

is it possible to see the HTML page? you can Edit your original Topic and use the Site URL field for privacy.

Tommy

Hey!

Updated and added site URL.

Just as a heads up, it’s getting worked on as we speak, so still in limbo on the best solution on how to implement.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is it just the Navigation?

Tommy

The html page isn’t complete yet. My dev is working on it.

That’s why I was asking here before he got too far into trying to integrate with GP bc I didn’t know the best way to do it.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

To start the Navigation can be done with GP, no need to build something that already exists.
    eg. This Site available in the Site Library has a split navigation:

https://gpsites.co/split/

Do you have a draft design? Then we can advise on best routes

Tommy

Yes, I plan on creating header/footer with GP (or Elementor), those aren’t the issue.

My question is how to best use GP features to pull in a static html page (it could be a single line of code for intensive purposes).

Is the solution to doing this dependent on a design? I’m a bit confused.

Looking for help with best way to execute my original post, design aside.

If I’m missing something or not understanding something, my apologies.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can add HTML directly in the Post editor use the Text view ( not visual), or if in Elementor then the HTML Block. The CSS for styling needs to go in the Additional CSS of the Customizer or in Child Theme style sheet.

Tommy

Anyway to tag Tom on this? We’re not on the same page.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s really hard for me to advise without seeing what you’re trying to achieve. I have passed on to Tom πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The child theme process you mentioned in your original post would work. That will allow you to strip out any unnecessary theme stuff and only add your custom HTML.

However, the method David mentioned will also work. You could just add an HTML block your to your content, and add the HTML from your static page.

There isn’t really a “right” way to do it. It depends on what works best for you πŸ™‚

Tommy

Thanks, Tom.

The child theme process you mentioned in your original post would work.

Does the process I posted apply with any theme, or is there something I can use with GP specifically (like the elements) to make it work easier/faster/better than other themes out there?

I run 99% of my sites on:

– GeneratePress
    – Code Snippets
    – Shortcodes Ultimate Shortcode Maker

Those 3 pack a crazy punch in terms of functionality and speed πŸ™‚

So to TL;DR this, just wanna confirm I’m not adding more steps than needed since I’m looking for the shortest distance b/w A and B because I would like to duplicate this for future web design projects.

Thank you guys πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That process would work with any theme. You’re basically creating a template with your custom HTML.

Personally, I would go the Gutenberg HTML block route. It’s easier πŸ™‚

Tommy

Thank you, Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Using Custom HTML Page for Homepage’ is closed to new replies.