[Resolved] Using another GP-Website as template to build a new website

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Using another GP-Website as template to build a new website

Home Forums Support Using another GP-Website as template to build a new website

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Katharina

Hi Generatepress Support,
    I want to build another website for me and using my website missionfamily.de as a template or so.
    I want to keep the design etc. and only change the content is there a easy way without building a complete new site? Maybe making a theme out of my first website.

Thanks
    Kati

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

plugins like these will allow you to migrate your site to a new domain name, then its just a case of editing the content on your new site.

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/
    https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Katharina

Thanks, before I do it it’s for my website katisiemens.com

My Idea is it to create a staging site test.katisiemens.com where I build the new site and then go live on katisiemens.com

Is it a good Idea to overwrite my current staging site that is using a different theme and once I finished my project go live on my proper domain?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

My thoughts would be this:
    1. Backup your current katisiemens.com site for safe keeping.
    2. Create the staging site test.katisiemens.com.
    3. Use the WP Reset plugin on test.katisiemens.com to put it back to a clean install.
    3.1 Remove any of the old plugins and theme that were being used ( WP Reset doesn’t always remove them depending on your settings ).
    3.2 This will remove all content and media though. But you can always just import what you need from the original site.
    4. Import the site from missionfamily.de
    5. When happy push the test.katisiemens.com staging site to the live domain.

Katharina

Thanks David, it defiantly helps me to get ahead.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.