[Resolved] using a slideshow instead of single picture on first page (using mellow "theme")

Home Forums Support using a slideshow instead of single picture on first page (using mellow "theme")

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thomas

Hello,

First let me thank you and congratulate you on GeneratePress- I ‘m new on WP site-building, but having experimented with some other themes/plugins, I decided to buy your premium product and have been very satisfied with it!

So far I have been solving all my needs and problems by reading past forum answers and general googling around for help. However, I have a question for which I could not find an answer.

I am developing a site using ‘mellow’ as a starting point. The site is still in very early development.

The question is this: I would like to substitute the ‘main’ image being used on the front page with a slideshow. In other words, instead of a main static image (on the front page only – the rest of the pages are fine with a static image), I would like to have a slideshow with 4-5 images. I am using envira gallery plugin on that site, if that is relevant, so perhaps I could use a slideshow provided by that plugin?

Sorry if I ‘m not describing my situation in the right terminology, as I said before I ‘m quite new to the WP world – but I think you can understand what I would like to achieve.

Thanks a lot for your time, and again congrats on a super and fairly-priced product!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I don’t have any experience with the slideshow function from Envira but my recommendation for a slider plugin would be Smart Slider 3.

Then you can create a new header element specifically for the front page and add the slider shortcode as content as instructed in first step here:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/how-to-create-a-page-hero/#step-1-add-the-content

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Thomas

Hello Leo,

thanks a lot for your help. I did install Smart Slider 3, read through your suggested link, followed documentation and guidelines from smart slider, created a new header element and placed my slider there.

I ‘m still fine-tuning the appearance of the slider with a combination of smart slider settings and some css. Please allow me to keep this thread ‘alive’ and not mark it solved, because I think I will have to ask again for your help – but I want to try first as much as I can, and I don’t work on this full-time so it will take a few more days.

Thanks again for your time, the awesome theme and your great support.

Thomas

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem!

Just comment on here again if you need another look 🙂

Thomas

OK Leo, I think I need your help 🙂

My site is here: https://pegasus.antimamalo.com/ (URL1) – for the time being I have the front page with a static image, as was the case with the ‘mellow’ template.

I have an ‘alternative’ home-page where I do my tests, which you can find here: https://pegasus.antimamalo.com/home2/ (URL2)

Now, the first thing is that no matter how much I tried, I can’t make the slider take the same dimensions as the ‘hero’ image of the ‘static-image’ homepage – ideally I would like the slider at URL2 to have exactly the same dimensions as the image in URL1 (and if possible, ‘engulfing’ #main as URL1 does – see attached image with desired effect highlighted *) – basically my ideal situation would be to have something exactly the same as URL1 but a slider instead of image.

I hope you understand what I ‘m after ..

PS – don’t mind about the logo appearing/disappearing with scrolling in URL2 or other things, this site is still only under construction and nobody visits apart from me 🙂

thanks a lot for your time !

(*) – screenshot with desired effect: https://prnt.sc/qx1jhp

PS 2 – I have another simple question and I thought of posting it here and not opening different thread. If you want me to open a different thread please tell me.

The question is this: I would like a very minimal header element to be used for all posts. This website will have very small posts with ‘news’, probably only a few lines of text each post, most of them without even an image – so having this beautiful but ‘heavy’ default element that comes with mellow is an overkill. Can you suggest an easy way to create such a minimal header element? I hope you understand what I ‘m saying, and sorry if it’s a very trivial question – I ‘m very new both to GP and WP 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

This is the size for the page hero in URL 1:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RES0u8Ikoj
    Can you try making the slider to that exact size? Then it should work once the logo appears.

When a slider is added as the content, the page hero doesn’t actually decide on the size as it’s controlled by the slider itself.

Please do open a new topic for the separate question.

Thanks!

Thomas

OK Leo, thanks a lot for your prompt replies and your help.

I managed to solve my problems.

I close this thread and mark this issue as resolved. Thanks again.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.