[Support request] Use customiser to modify child theme

Home Forums Support [Support request] Use customiser to modify child theme

Home Forums Support Use customiser to modify child theme

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stairscat

Hi,

I downloaded the blank GP child theme and made changes to it with the customiser, but then I found out all changes I am making to the child theme through the customiser, I am actually doing to the parent theme. Am I doing something wrong?

I basically want to have two different themes on my site and will use a plugin to give users the option to chose the theme they prefer. I want both themes to be on generatepress, I just want to change some colours through the customiser.

Thanks πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

The customizer options are theme options so it’s stored with the parent theme:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/#will-i-lose-my-changes-when-i-add-a-child-theme

Might be easier to do a fresh install, duplicate the site over then make changes in the customizer for the second color option.

stairscat

You mean that I install a second generate press theme, instead of a child theme?

The problem is that I have certain elements that I added, I guess these won’t be saved. And any change I am making, I would have to make it to both sites.

The coolest thing would be if the customiser was not part of the parent theme, so we could make several different themes. πŸ™‚ It would also be useful when working on a new theme, while the public continues to use the old one.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You would do a fresh WordPress install, under the same domain like this: mydomain.com/option2

Duplicate the site over using a plugin like Duplicator so the two is exactly the same.

Then you can change some customizer options in the customizer of option 2.

GP doesn’t decide where the customizer options are stored – it’s WP πŸ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.