Updating plugins for localhost

Home Forums Support Updating plugins for localhost

Home Forums Support Updating plugins for localhost

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ziggs Stardust

Hi Tom

As you know, it is common to develop WP on a local server environment (XAMMP, WAMP etc) before deploying to a live server. What is the best way to update the add-ons? I’m assuming I can’t use auto-update because I am running on localhost/

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There shouldn’t be any issues running the auto-update while on your localhost – I used my localhost to test out the update system before pushing it live πŸ™‚

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Ziggs Stardust

Hi Tom,

No luck I am afraid. My email and add-ons are showing as verified, so I tried manually updating them – I got a message back saying you have the latest version.

These are the versions I updated on my live test sites with no problems:

Generate Blog
    You have version 1.2.2 installed. Update to 1.2.3. View version 1.2.3 details.
    Compatibility with WordPress 4.0.1: Unknown

Generate Colors
    You have version 1.3 installed. Update to 1.4. View version 1.4 details.

Generate Typography
    You have version 1.3 installed. Update to 1.4. View version 1.4 details.

I still have the previous versions on my localhost. My GP theme is up to date.

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So on your localhost, the plugins aren’t showing any available updates? Or they’re failing when you try and do an auto update?

Ziggs Stardust

Both – I get no notification of updates for add-ons. I get “you have the latest version” (which I clearly don’t) when I try to manually or auto-update.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, I just confirmed that they work on my localhost (XAMPP).

What version of the add-on (any one) are you running on your localhost?

Ziggs Stardust

Hi,

I thought I would give you them all!

Theme Version 1.2.4 Running a child theme.

Generate Backgrounds Version 0.8
    Generate Blog Version 1.2.2
    Generate Colors Version 1.3
    Generate Copyright Version 0.7
    Generate Disable Elements Version 0.9
    Generate Hooks Version 0.7
    Generate Import Export Version 0.8
    Generate Page Header Version 1.1
    Generate Secondary Navigation Version 0.5
    Generate Spacing Version 1.1
    Generate Typography Version 1.3

I haven’t got to setup the site in my account have I? Being localhost, it sort of would not make sense.

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you using XAMPP or WAMP?

You’re sure that your email is verified, and each add-on is activated?

Ziggs Stardust

With respect – I did mention in a previous post in this thread that all add-ons are verified, along with my email address on my localhost.

I just got notified of updates in my localhost version of WP 4.1 and 3 WP theme updates. They updated and installed successfully. I tried once again to manually update the add-ons (I have them all) and I got the message back that they are the current versions – which clearly some of them are not. Again – earlier in this thread I point out the add-ons that are NOT current versions.

I am using XAMPP v3.2.1 I have some other plugins that auto-update with no problems. It is the GP one’s that do not update, either automatically or manually. I have searched for answers – if there were a problem with XAMPP then no other plugins, WP core and theme updates would work at all.

Regards.

Ziggs Stardust

And yes… they are all activated.

Ziggs Stardust

I know you are a busy guy – and your support goes beyond what most developers deliver. But I really am being screwed by this problem. I can see conflicts already on my localhost by not being able to update the add-ons. I have just this minute updated another live test site with your latest add-on updates. No problems at all.

Regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I understand that you already mentioned it – however sometimes people overlook things (it’s happened many times in this forum), and since this particular issue doesn’t allow me to login and investigate, I have to go through every possible issue one by one, even if you’ve already mentioned something.

I’m using the same version of XAMPP, and can successfully update the plugins, so there must be something happening on your end of things.

How are you trying to manually update the plugins?

What you can do for right now is delete the plugin from the Plugins area completely, and then upload the newest .zip – you won’t lose any of your database settings.

This will update the plugin, and then hopefully you won’t run into this issue anymore, as I’ve confirmed that the latest versions update fine on localhost.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Ziggs Stardust

Hi Tom,

I aplogise if I came across as rude. You must be so busy! I update by selecting a plugin, then select Bulk Actions from dropdown menu, select update, then click apply. It returns a message ‘successful’ very quickly – when I look at details, it says you already have the current version.

I will try what you suggested later tonight (I’m going out for a few hours). So I download all new zips from my account and re install as per your instructions?

Will let you know how it goes later.

Thanks πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not rude – this kind of stuff can be very frustrating – I understand πŸ™‚

The best bet now is to delete and re-install the plugins, and hope that it fixes the issue.

Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.