[Resolved] Update to 1.8 Breaks GP Elements in WPML Sites

Home Forums Support Update to 1.8 Breaks GP Elements in WPML Sites

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #878048
    vr51

    I’ve checked this in two sites. Created GP Elements do not display in the site dashboard and they no longer take effect on the frontend after today’s update. This only affects sites that use WPML.

    It seems that the Elements are still present but they are being filtered out, probably by a WP Query set in GP Pro. Although ‘Appearance > Elements’ shows X published Elements, none display for editing and none work on the frontend.

    Is it safe to downgrade GP Pro until a fix is released?

    GeneratePress 2.2.2
    GP Premium 1.8.0
    #878162
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

    Hi there,

    We actually did a lot of work with WPML to make sure this version increases compatibility.

    Can you make sure the “Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to default language” option is checked in “WPML > Settings”?: http://prntscr.com/ngggxd

    #878187
    vr51

    I noticed the comment about WPML in the changelog. I appreciate the work done to improve WPML compatibility, thank you.

    The Elements custom post type is indeed set to “Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to default language”.

    But…

    There was a padlock next to the CPT title ‘Elements’ in the WPML settings page. This padlock is shown in the screenshot you shared. I needed to click the padlock to allow manual management of the setting; this removes the padlock. Clicking save at this point makes the Elements both editable and active again.

    So, now that the padlock is gone the Elements work.

    Thank you, Tom. I always miss that Settings page. I seem to be blinded to it.

    #878188
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

    Strange, I wonder if it would have worked to just click the Save button. The padlock just means we’ve set that option as the default in the wpml-config.xml file.

    Either way, I’m glad it’s working for you now 🙂

    #878198
    vr51

    I’ve just checked a 3rd site. This being a dev site that was behind on the GP update. This was on 1.7.7 (? on that last digit, it was only one or two releases behind).

    Before I updated the site I confirmed the WPML Settings for Elements. It was set to “Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to default language” with the padlock present.

    After the update to 1.8 the WPML setting remained the same but Elements no longer displayed in Appearance > Elements or took effect on the frontend of the site.

    To test your question, without removing the padlock I clicked save then reloaded the Elements admin page. The Elements still did not show.

    After removing the padlock the Elements showed.

    WPML is a wonderful package but suffers a few annoying quirks.

    #878199
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

    Very strange – thanks for reporting back! I’ll point them to this topic to see if there’s anything that can be done.

    #878214
    vr51

    Always welcome!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.