[Support request] Update GeneratePress/Premium

Home Forums Support [Support request] Update GeneratePress/Premium

Home Forums Support Update GeneratePress/Premium

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jordan

Hi Tom,

I got a message from my hosting company that load times were very heavy on my site. Their developers attributed this to the theme, saying it might be because I am running and older version of GP.

This was news to me because I thought I was running the most current version. I followed the steps to see if there are updates available and my WordPress account doesn’t show “Update Available” when I go to my themes page or plugin page for GP Premium.

In my appearance > GeneratePress section it says I am running GP 1.3.46 and GP Premium 1.2.96.

Are these not the most current versions of the theme?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Yes, those are the latest versions.

Not sure how they would attribute heavy load times to the theme. More info from them would definitely be helpful.

Who are you hosting with?

Jordan

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I host with a smaller hosting provide, Squidix (https://squidix.com), not sure if you want to reach out to them or not.

Once the heavy loads began, they sent me an email saying the following,

“For some reason, your PHP script (e.g. WordPress) is unable to contain resources adequately within your LVE. That said, it’s pulling resources from the main server’s resource pool, and subsequently causing some very heavy loads on the server.”

After we exchanged a few emails back and forth trying to determine the problem and I gave them login to the backend, they said,

“Our developers have determined that a bulk of the issues are spanning from a combination of Generate Press and the Twitter plugin. That said, I don’t think you would have to disable these plugins, just simply update them.

GeneratePress has many improvements in performance in recent versions, and your version currently is older than their recent release.

I’m not sure how GP splits off their production releases, but if your release is compatible with newer versions of GP, it would definitely help to update those since the later versions do mention major performance increases.”

I have since deactivated the Twitter plugin to which they are referring to eliminate that as a possibility.

I currently have an open ticket with them, and after confirming that I am on the most recent version of GP, I asked them for a bit more specific information so that I can relay it to you.

Jordan

Hey, Tom,

The hosting company reached out to me with some specifics of the load times to which they are referring. I’m not sure I feel comfortable posting them on here publicly. Do you have any way I can reach out to you privately?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sure, shoot me an email: https://generatepress.com/contact/

Jordan

Thanks, Tom! I just shot you an email.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, not much for me to go on there.

They mention that they’ve worked with GP, and know it’s quite fast/light.

Have you done any customization to the theme? Child theme with any functions?

GP itself uses 99% core WordPress functions to accomplish tasks. The only thing I can think of that could be better (and will be soon) is the hard crop/resizing of images in the blog/page header. Are you using those image sizing options? If so, it could cause higher resource usage if you’re resizing a lot of images on a very popular page.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else in GP that would be resource intensive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.