[Resolved] Unwanted Widgets

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Unwanted Widgets

Home Forums Support Unwanted Widgets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mizanur

Hi Tom,

In Widgets area, I have only ‘Recent Posts’ active at the Right Sidebar with this setting. Noting else.

and

in reality, I am getting this!

Where is this [search], [archive] and [meta] coming from?

Please help. I have to take the site off line for this.

Mizan

Mizanur

FYI:

I’ve to have some widgets to get rid of -> these unwanted widgets.

I’ve tested with few themes (Twenty Fourteen, Twenty Twelve, Genesis) in live view, the problem is NOT there!

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When no widgets are active in that sidebar, those default widgets show.

To remove them – add your own widget to that area.

If you don’t want any widgets in that area, you can choose to remove that sidebar by changing the layout.

Let me know if this helps or not πŸ™‚

Mizanur

Hi Tom,

1) The widgets that are showing in my website is not default. For example, why [META] coming with only with register and login only? Default WP [META] has Log in, Entries RSS, Comments RSS and WordPress.org.

2) So far I know if I don’t want any widgets at my right side bar. I have to simply make it empty – remove all widgets. That’t WP’s default.

3) Changing layout is not option for me.

I just moved from another theme as same layout of yours [content] and [right sidebar] … it was all right there!

Now, I’m testing on another website with another theme of same lay out – I removed all widegets and nothing shows up!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is intended behavior, as no widgets exist in that sidebar, so GeneratePress adds a couple to fill the empty space.

I would consider removing this if a good reason was given.

My question is: If these widgets weren’t there, would you be happy with having a completely empty sidebar? You don’t want to add your own widgets to it? If so, why have that sidebar at all in the first place?

Let me know πŸ™‚

Mizanur

Good Points, Tom πŸ™‚

I never thought that GeneratePress adding couple of widgets to fill the empty space…Got it now. However, I was thinking GeneratePress will give some advisory as it is done here. This advisory is only at the backend and frontend remains empty if no widgets are added.

May be not a good reason but I would prefer empty sidebars if nothing is there. and best, an advisory at the backend.

If these widgets weren’t there, I would be happy with empty sidebars – Because I need empty sidebars on certain pages…(GeneratePress provides the option to change page layout on that particular page. But what if I do not want to change the layout but keep the side bar of that particular page completely empty?)

However, I noticed it is not a big issue. If I put an empty [TEXT] widget on any widget area of a theme, it will show nothing.

I will never stop pushing more to make GeneratePresss the best of all. πŸ™‚

This issue is resolved. Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I appreciate every little bit of feedback I get, so thanks for bringing this up πŸ™‚

Perhaps it would be better to show a message like that instead, as I do in the footer widgets.

I’ll definitely consider making this change!

Thanks! πŸ™‚

heartofgriever

Hello,

I have the same issue and post a post about it here :
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/unwanted-widgets-on-live-version?replies=1#post-6578176

Sorry for replying to this but I cant find how to register on this website

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Looks like you were able to resolve it πŸ™‚

Craig

Has this been developed further? I would remove the default widgets from the various locations. My site uses dynamic widget content, removing or adding widgets based on navigation. Having the defaults show where none is wanted is proving problematic.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Craig,

It hasn’t come up a lot, but it is on the road map to improve.

I should be able to provide some code that will help. Are you using the right sidebar or left sidebar?

Kelly

Tom,
    I have the same problem. However, I’m using Elementor Pro to create my sidebar and have placed its shortcode in the GP hooks section under “before right sidebar.” There is no option to make it the sidebar, only to hook to before or after the sidebar. Is there any way to remove the default widgets so they don’t mess with my design? Thanks so much for creating such a great theme! This is the first thing I’ve run into that I couldn’t resolve in the forum here. You’re doing a fabulous job!

Kelly

Tom,
    I resolved this! For anyone else reading the forum, with Elementor you just need to add a text widget to the sidebar under Appearance -> Widgets and then paste in the shortcode for the Elementor template into the body of the text widget. This gets rid of the default widgets.

Thanks so much!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you found a solution – thank you for posting it! πŸ™‚

Theo van

Just install this plugin and put it as a placeholder widget.

https://nl.wordpress.org/plugins/empty-widget/

It shows absolutely nothing πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.