[Support request] Unsemantic Grid included in theme – missing tablet-grid-33?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Unsemantic Grid included in theme – missing tablet-grid-33?

Home Forums Support Unsemantic Grid included in theme – missing tablet-grid-33?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wekhter

Hi, I was trying to use the built-in unsemantic grid (https://docs.generatepress.com/article/creating-columns/#using-built-in-unsemantic-grid) to set up some elements that that will appear across multiple pages. I’m setting up a simple grid that should show 4 columns on desktop, 3 columns on tablet, and 2 columns on mobile.

When I tested my code, I saw that the 3-column layout on tablet wasn’t working. Looking at the CSS in the theme, it seems like the tablet-grid-33 rule is missing. The tablet-push-33 and tablet-pull-33 styles are there, so I guess this was just an oversight?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

in Customizer > General can you Disable: Combine CSS This will load the full unsemantic grid CSS

wekhter

@David That does make it so that the tablet-grid-33 works, but it still feels like an oversight that the lite version includes the other tablet-*-33 rules (pull, push, etc) but not the basic tablet-grid-33 rule.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The combined CSS version includes a slimmed-down version of Unsemantic Grid. Only classes that are used in the theme are included by default. It’s the beginning of an effort to remove CSS that isn’t 100% necessary for the theme to function.

wekhter

@Tom I can understand that–I’m just saying that all the other rules related to tablet-*-33 are still in the files, as well as all the rules related to tablet-*-66 so it seems like an oversight that either a) just the grid rule is missing, or b) that the other -33 and -66 rules are present at all.

EDIT: Just to be clear, one of the reasons I brought up it not working was because I just plopped the code from the docs page on columns (https://docs.generatepress.com/article/creating-columns/#using-built-in-unsemantic-grid) onto the site and the second example uses tablet-grid-33.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ll take a closer look. I’m assuming I had a reason for doing so, but I’ll dig deeper to make sure I didn’t overlook something 🙂

Nic

may i ask why you use unsemantic grid? never heard of it and it seems deprecated. github repo is not actively maintained. better use something else than this please. for instance bootstrap4 (grid only).

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GP Theme is over 6 years old, which is way before Flexbox or CSS Grid was well supported, Unsemantic grid fulfilled the needs then and is part of that legacy.

We have been migrating our CSS to Flexbox over the last few theme releases.

In GeneratePress 3.0 we are replacing Unsemantic with Flexbox.
    Existing sites will have the choice to continue using Floats (Unnsemantic) or switch to Flexbox. All new sites in that theme will default to Flexbox.

Nic

any vague plans when to release GP 3.0?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Very soon – we’re working on the public alpha release for end of this month at the latest. We’re just checking to see if WP 5.5 introduced some changes we need to account for which is the main delay.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.